Brantford Omaha Thread

Hey all

So, as requested by one fella, here's all the information I know about BCC getting Omaha. I'll list what I know about it, based on my trip down and harassment of the dealers last Friday (August 27), and I figure maybe sticky this so people can post any experiences.

Okay: So here's what I know

Start Date: Monday, September 7th, at 5:00a.m. will be the first Omaha session at BCC.

Limits: The dealers claim they'll spread whatever people ask for, so I can only assume that they'll run a game at any of their standard levels (2/5, 5/10, 10/20, 20/40, etc). They will not be running a pot-limit variant, fixed limit only.

Players: Not sure how many players per table there will be, but I'd assume 10.

Omaha Hi, or Omaha Hi/Lo?: Just Omaha Hi.

Mark

Comments

• DrTyore wrote: »
    Limits: The dealers claim they'll spread whatever people ask for, so I can only assume that they'll run a game at any of their standard levels (2/5, 5/10, 10/20, 20/40, etc). They will not be running a pot-limit variant, fixed limit only.

Not that I'll be making it out any time soon, but.....I'll boo anyways.
  • 2-5 Fixed Limit Omaha= Suckout City
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    2-5 Fixed Limit Omaha= Suckout City

Lol....yup.....everyone's always priced in for their gutshot....or 6 high flush draw....or......
  • 2-5 Limit Omaha Strategy:

a) Bring disposable income.....whatever you dont expect to leave with.
    b) insert horseshoe into ass.....could counteract part a)
    c) 2 options here: bring card coin and place over cards. Proceed to bet without looking at your hole cards that way you will be just as shocked at what you played as you would anyone else's cards. Note - your odds of winning the pot go up dramatically. Option 2 - put on a blindfold, play at the table and pray......
    d) copious amounts of alcohol so the beats dont seem as fearce. please note this is limit omaha hi, flooping something doesnt mean shit because the whole table is calling you.
    e) if you are lucky enough to actually rake a pot back towards you, thank the people contributing to your bar tab and tell them " yes I played that"

good lord can i get ringside seats for this one. can we make this a camera table...now that would be good television!!!!!
  • Are there any Omaha strategy books for this Limit mutation? My thinking is that if I try to apply a PLO book for this Limit Omaha game, it would be even more disastrous than applying NLHE strategies to a Limit Hold'em game.
    tenseven wrote: »
    2-5 Limit Omaha Strategy
  • Super System II has a great system

Also, look up the hutchinson point system... after that, it's post-flop play, and you NEED to be drawing to the nuts... or at least a reasonable nuts.... it's all about making sure your cards coordinate to draw to the best hand... so suited 57 in a hand like AK57 is shit.. but AK57 where the A7 is suited is MUCH better

Mark
  • Hutchinson is great for keeping you out of trouble pre-flop.

Omaha
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Are there any Omaha strategy books for this Limit mutation? My thinking is that if I try to apply a PLO book for this Limit Omaha game, it would be even more disastrous than applying NLHE strategies to a Limit Hold'em game.

Championship Omaha has a specific fixed limit omaha high section. That said - adapting Jeff Hwangs' PLO books' hand selection (+ most suited A hands in late pos) and nearly never raising (increases variance/chasing and it'll stay 7-8 handed whether you like it or not) pre flop has worked best for me in the Sarnia 10-20 game(played 5 sessions - booking 3500 net which includes 2 losses of 300 and 500).
  • I didn't make it out... but I heard that there was 2 5/10 and one 10/20 table running as of about 8:00 tonight

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I didn't make it out... but I heard that there was 2 5/10 and one 10/20 table running as of about 8:00 tonight

Mark

I made it out. There were two 5/10 tables but when they opened up the 10/20 table it killed one of the 5/10 tables.

I started on the second table when it opened. There was a steady stream of people trying it out and dropping a couple of hundred dollars then leaving. The guy to my right was awful and made the typical mistakes - flushes with either one card or three cards in his hand ... trying to make a full house with one card ... etc. Unfortunately he took a $300 pot from me by catching the river and then left soon after.

Overall, I only noticed a couple of reasonable Omaha players - one of whom moved to 10/20. Even a couple good limit hold 'em players were very weak at Omaha. Average number of players to see the flop was about six. I don't think I saw one pre-flop, re-raise all day. I did see one blind chop.

When the table broke I drew the high card and was first to get moved to the other table. I though this might be tougher since this was the table that opened as soon as there was enough interest. I figured it might have some real Omaha players. I didn't see any real sign of that.

Overall, I finished up $800 after about 10 hours of play. Patience is the key.
  • Holy FUCK I need to get down there...

Great to hear Sandy!

Mark
  • Any day this week. Just pm me...