GBH Tournament - Sept 9th

I am planning on going to the Blue Heron Sept 9th Freeze Out. Has any forumers played there before? skill level?

Also, the tournament starts at 10am and registration is at 8:30am.... Do I really need to be there for 8:30?

Comments

• At least five forumers play there regularly, hogging the points leaderboard. There are a lot of recreational players there who just play by feel. Search for previous trip reports posted.

If you have pre-purchased a seat before it sold out, then you don't have to be there at 8:30. I usually end up pulling a "Phil Hellmuth" and get there late between 10:01 - 11:15 AM. :redface:
    mdub wrote: »
    Has any forumers played there before? skill level?
    Also, the tournament starts at 10am and registration is at 8:30am.... Do I really need to be there for 8:30?
  • Thanks... much appreciated. I will register early.

See you there!
  • I just registered and I was #74 so there is only 36 seats left
  • I registered last weekend and I was number 35... it looks like it will be sold out before next week.

See you there...
  • Just writing up some upcoming events on The Poker Atlas, checked the GBH website and this tourney is sold out, capped, no more seats seniors.

Looks like they have an $1100 on the 14th and a $550 Limit? (cool) Omaha Hi for the 28th.

Same 110 player cap. Think the Omaha will fill?
  • So, I arrived with my buddy, D.A. just before 10am. This was my first CPT tournament (actually it was my biggest tourney I have ever played). I was assigned to a table that had a few really good players, unfortunately the three best players (in my opinion) were seated right to my left. Oh well!!

My strategy was to play tight and be agreesive early only when I had a good hand. I thought once I had some chips and got comfortable, I would open up a little bit and play more hands. The problem with this strategy is that I only I got one good hand early (AK) and took a lot of chips from a guy who had 10 10, as my Ace hit. The rest of the time within the next few levels, I was really card dead. I called a few hands with medium type of cards (i.e. A rag) and when I was raised, I folded. After the first break, I was about avg chip stack, but had some good players behind me with a lot of chips.

Then, I started opening up a little bit more and lost some chips and was the short stack. I was still card dead (didn't have one pocket pair all day), and went in all in probably 6 times. I stayed alive for one level doing that. But in the end my all in with AK lost to a pair of jacks. That left me with very little and with the blinds so high, I had to go for it on the next hand. I was dealt AJ and it lost to QQ.

I finished off 47th out of the 110 guys. So, I am pleased that I made it further then 50% of the field, but I am disappointed on my slow play early. My buddy, busted out a little before me.

So, we ended up going golfing at Oakridge GC... Overall, I am happy that I got to play cards, go golfing and not going into the office.

I will definately be playing in other tourneys...
  • What was the cash game action like during this tournament?
  • I didn't play in any cash games, but the waiting list was long for all the tables. They were doing an Omaha game, which would have been interesting to play.