What's the sense of the trial?

Just read this, and vomitted in my mouth a little.

Scotland frees Lockerbie bomber - Terrorism- msnbc.com

I understand the Scottish courts apathy, I just don't agree with it. The man is responsible for 270 deaths as a result of a terrorist attack, was convicted and sentenced to life in prison, and after only 8 years, is released to return home based on the fact that he's dying.

Well BIG FUCKING DEAL!! He got a lot more time living a life he should have had forfeited. The Scottish court goes to say he's being judged by a higher authourity, what a cop out afaic.

Is this how all convicted terrorists are going to be handled in the future? Convicted, sentenced, then giving latitude based on compassionate grounds? Where was their compassion to begin with?

Victims families should be pooling resources to get this guy the justice he sorely deserves.

Comments

• Worst of all the families will have to endure video of his hero's welcome back in Libia.
  • I do NOT support the death penalty, as I have stated in previous threads. I believe life sentences should be just that. You come out of prison having assumed room temperature. I disagree strongly with the Scottish court on this decision. Having said that, I do not believe this waste of oxygen will be accorded a hero's welcome in Libya. The reason I feel this way is that Qaddafi still controls that pit with an iron fist, and he is DESPERATE to make nice with the west, so that he in cash in on his oil reserves. Any demonstrations supporting this scumbag's return may jeopardize that chance, so I think it will be a low-key arrival. I may be wrong, but I hope not.

Retracted my last paragraph because, after some poking around the interwebs, there appears to be a significant amount of opinion, and a fair amount of research (NON-Libyan sources), that this guy may have been the victim of a frame-up. He may have had NOTHING to do with the bombing at all. In light of this, I say let him die at home.