Options

cash game vs mtt

what is the fundemental difference between the two, i have only studied, played, and read books on tourney play, but from what i can tell in a tourney you generally wouldn't want to risk your entire tourney life on a less than a made hand...where as in cash games you will usually always be happy to go into or all into a mathematically sound situation....

i don't think i do well in cash games because i don't know the difference

Comments

• Tournaments are about winning pots. Ring games are about winning stacks.
  • in a tournament, you can lose your buy-in; in a cash game, you can lose your house.
  • In cash games, I simply try to maximize my EV without worrying about variance, but I notice a lot of cash game players are terrified of variance and give up EV. For example, I don't mind taking so-called "coin-flips' if I think my EV is at least $0.01!

Tournaments can be tougher to figure out the profit-maximizing play as chip EV (cEV) can be very different from money EV ($EV). There are SOME situations where I pass up on +cEV plays as it can be more profitable to reduce the risk of getting eliminated, but I notice some players misapply Sklansky's theory and avoid too many profitable plays. There are a lot of situations where I have put my entire tournament life on "a less than a made hand" since I thought that my $EV was greater than zero.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    In cash games, I simply try to maximize my EV without worrying about variance, but I notice a lot of cash game players are terrified of variance and give up EV. For example, I don't mind taking so-called "coin-flips' if I think my EV is at least $0.01!

Tournaments can be tougher to figure out the profit-maximizing play as chip EV (cEV) can be very different from money EV ($EV). There are SOME situations where I pass up on +cEV plays as it can be more profitable to reduce the risk of getting eliminated, but I notice some players misapply Sklansky's theory and avoid too many profitable plays. There are a lot of situations where I have put my entire tournament life on "a less than a made hand" since I thought that my $EV was greater than zero.

Is one of the missed profitable plays folding when most of the table limps in? im not sure if im right but aren't you supposed to call when there are alot of people in the pot like that? I'd like to know if thats what you mean because its something I started doing...and i notice not alot of other people do, so i wonder if im wrong on that
  • Tournaments are about finding spots in which you can take down pots. Win any pot that belongs to you and a bunch that doesn't. Cash games (full ring) are about staying calm and looking for spots to fold to get yourself out of trouble IMO, not about making calls with second pair because you think that villain may or may not be full of it.

Edit: In san remo there was a guy who made a hero call with AK high against a giant shove during the first couple of levels. Pot was about 1,2k or something and villain shoved river for 9k or whatever it was. Hero looks at him and says "i call, because you have nothing" and takes down the pot risking his tournament life. In cash games, this is probably not as good an idea ^^'
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    In cash games, this is probably not as good an idea

as I said, you can lose your house.
  • darbday wrote: »
    Is one of the missed profitable plays folding when most of the table limps in? im not sure if im right but aren't you supposed to call when there are alot of people in the pot like that? I'd like to know if thats what you mean because its something I started doing...and i notice not alot of other people do, so i wonder if im wrong on that

It depends on what hand you actually have, your position, and how comfortable you are playing post-flop against the opponents at your table. Generally speaking, you are not giving up much by not limping when the rest of the table does.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    It depends on what hand you actually have, your position, and how comfortable you are playing post-flop against the opponents at your table. Generally speaking, you are not giving up much by not limping when the rest of the table does.

this answers my question and i will use it, although slightly more catiously than i have been...thx all