CNE Advice - Small Pairs

Having never been a limit player, just wondering how most players play small pocket pairs (22-66) out of position or in good position but not many pre-flop callers. Jones seems to advocate folding in most pre-flop situations, unless there are numerous callers and you have late position.

Comments

• I usually fold most small pairs. With limit hold'em I am looking to make the nut hand, usually stick to my A2-A5suited and also trying to speculate with suited connectors in late position.

For the most part you can't really get out of line and if you have good hand reading ability from NL, Limit will be a walk in the park.

The big problem is believing you are priced in equity wise but not realizing your hand doesn't play strong enough in a multiway pot especially when people are not folding.

If you do choose to play small PPs you really need to isolate and hope to bet them off their hand on the flop (which on occasion does happen)

GL!
  • Toss all small pairs in EP. Set mining is not profitable in limit.
  • Fuck, please ignore the first two posts in this thread. It's just so fucking wrong I can't be bothered.

If you've got 5-6 to the flop, play your pp's. if it's 3 to the flop all the time, you can think about ditching them or playing them aggressively.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    Fuck, please ignore the first two posts in this thread. It's just so fucking wrong I can't be bothered.

If you've got 5-6 to the flop, play your pp's. if it's 3 to the flop all the time, you can think about ditching them or playing them aggressively.

He did ask what do with small PP with not many to the flop? Didn't we all give the same answer??
  • actyper wrote: »
    Set mining is not profitable in limit.

God, I hate this game before I even get started. You really play A2-A5 aggressively? Not really a big fan of Jones so far. Seems to really fall in love with overpairs or TPTK but I can see a person losing a lot of money with these hands in limit. Just too many people chasing to the river.

One clarification, I recall someone telling me that if you are heads up in limit, basically there is no cap on the raising so its basically like playing NL?
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    Fuck, please ignore the first two posts in this thread. It's just so fucking wrong I can't be bothered.

If we were all psychic like you then yes we can play many different card combinations in EP
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    God, I hate this game before I even get started. You really play A2-A5 aggressively? Not really a big fan of Jones so far. Seems to really fall in love with overpairs or TPTK but I can see a person losing a lot of money with these hands in limit. Just too many people chasing to the river.

One clarification, I recall someone telling me that if you are heads up in limit, basically there is no cap on the raising so its basically like playing NL?

A2-A5 I don't play agressively at all. Overpairs and TPTK are often good, I like them better in limit than in NL. Its the fact that many will still call down with any pair, and draws are played aggressively.
    Overpairs and TPTK are often good, I like them better in limit than in NL.

I can see my trip report already... dealt AA muliple times to a K82 flop only to lose to two pair when somebody chased with 23 and hit their second pair on the river.
    A2-A5 I don't play agressively at all. Overpairs and TPTK are often good, I like them better in limit than in NL. Its the fact that many will still call down with any pair, and draws are played aggressively.

+1 You are not looking to play aggressively per say but you hand range widens based on the type of game.

IE. If I am playing in a passive limit game I am looking to call with A2-A5 suited to give me straight/flush opportunities. Even sometimes if an ace hits I may be good as well in an un-raised pot.

For the most part in a passive limit game the draws will tend to pay you the most overall because you are making a 5 card hand. At the same time it doesn't mean you discount your big pairs and your AQ AK,etc....it just means you have to be a little bit more observant with the board and give ranges to your players a little quicker (ie spotting possibilities on the flop) so you know what you are up against.

You will enjoy limit because everyone chases and although they get there sometimes the percentages still favor a made hand in the end. It is just harder in the end to make bad players fold. In a good limit game smart players will fold 3rd nut flush, dummy end straights etc, because they realize what can be already beating them. The CNE for the most part does not have those type of players because of the limit it spreads.

You will be fine :)
  • You will be fine :)

and I have less chance to fire three bullets and lose $300 of my stack :)

You would love this hand the other night at my Friday haunt; I fire a big raise on the turn when the two other players hit their flushes (I have trips on the flop) and they don't raise; I make my boat on the river and make a small continuation bet which both call. One has a 5 high flush and the other a Q high flush. They both tell me they didn't raise on the turn because they were SCARED of a higher flush. Talk about passive.
    and I have less chance to fire three bullets and lose $300 of my stack :)

You would love this hand the other night at my Friday haunt; I fire a big raise on the turn when the two other players hit their flushes (I have trips on the flop) and they don't raise; I make my boat on the river and make a small continuation bet which both call. One has a 5 high flush and the other a Q high flush. They both tell me they didn't raise on the turn because they were SCARED of a higher flush. Talk about passive.

LOL I can't wait to go back to that game.

"please don't call I don't want you to draw out on me so I will show you my hand"
  • "please don't call I don't want you to draw out on me so I will show you my hand"

more like, "is it ok if I buy in for 20BB and wait until my stack dwindles to 8BB at which point I will push with any ace"
    Having never been a limit player, just wondering how most players play small pocket pairs (22-66) out of position or in good position but not many pre-flop callers. Jones seems to advocate folding in most pre-flop situations, unless there are numerous callers and you have late position.

This is a question I struggle with also. You see the EV for these hands as rated very highly, but once you see the flop with - for example - a Q 10 3, you really begin to wonder what value a 66 has, or even a 77 or 88.
    I can see my trip report already... dealt AA muliple times to a K82 flop only to lose to two pair when somebody chased with 23 and hit their second pair on the river.

This will happen, but overtime you will win the majority of these situations. Limit clearly is suited best to the patient.

You wouldn't make it playing BlackJack. BlackJack is all about patience and doing what is mathematically right, not what you feel in your gut.