Sydney Crosby

Anybody else wondering why the Canadian Military paid to fly Crosby and the Stanley Cup in by helicopter?

Didn't realize a multi-millionaire needed to be included in the economic recovery plan...

Comments

• Umm, he wasn't flown in by helicopter... lol, it took him out to a ship in the harbour to take the Cup to the troops, so to speak. In fact he spent the morning wiith the armed forces... Give the kid a break... In fact it was at the request of the local commander as I understand it.
  • Ok fair enough but the military needed to fly him in by helicopter?

YouTube - Crosby's Stanley Cup Birthday

We barely have enough money to keep the Snowbirds up but the military can fly the cup around in a Sea King which needs 30 hours of maintenance for 1 hour of flight.
  • Generally these aircraft need to be flown just to keep the pilot's "hours" up to date. If they do so flying Sid the Kid out to HMCS Preserver, or just fly it around the harbour, what is the difference? Except that one gets them some good publicity?

Lighten up, moose . . . you're wrong on this one.
  • Moose, you'd be surprised at how much money the military is willing to "throw" away. They really don't care about the cost involved. They'll do what they please.

In 2002 I was at work when I heard a ridiculous noise outside. I ran to window just in time to see a lone Snowbird and a CF-18 Hornet fly by. They made several passes over the KW area for about an hour. Later that night I heard it was for a funeral of one of their maintenance personnel.

I'm not objecting (it was pretty cool) but how much did that cost us?

As for Sid, I think the water in Halifax might be a bit cold to swim the Cup out to the ship. Better to fly :)
  • I found it more entertaining that the mayor of his hometown then dubbed the day "Sydney crosby day"

Mark
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    As for Sid, I think the water in Halifax might be a bit cold to swim the Cup out to the ship. Better to fly :)

It's the Navy so they were probably out of ships anyways.