Poker anywhere with Rogers or Bell Stick?

Has anybody played online poker using any of the mobile Internet services such as Rogers Rocket, Bell Turbo Stick, Cogeco Wi-Fi hotspots, Fido or Telus?

Comments

• I play all the time with my Fido card.

They are shipping me the new USB stick today. I will let you know if it works.
  • I have a Rogers Stick and it works fine, albeit Rogers and Fido are really the same company.
  • i was thinking of using one of these as well. are they really expensive? what are the monthly costs like for this? i'd mostly be using it for poker.
  • trigs wrote: »
    i was thinking of using one of these as well. are they really expensive? what are the monthly costs like for this? i'd mostly be using it for poker.

Ditto, was thinking about this as well. If using just for poker, what size of plan do you need?
  • Addicts...
  • Hmm..I recall a buddy talking about his Telus stick....he left it with another friend down in Vegas who was using it for online poker....the data transfer is huge with poker, live streams, etc...and he got a major bill for time used... I would check that..
  • Hmm..I recall a buddy talking about his Telus stick....he left it with another friend down in Vegas who was using it for online poker....the data transfer is huge with poker, live streams, etc...and he got a major bill for time used... I would check that..

Sure it wasn't cause he was using the sick in vegas. Roaming charges apply to the data plans too.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Sure it wasn't cause he was using the sick in vegas. Roaming charges apply to the data plans too.

Let's not talk about roaming...I just got my phone bill for the month of July while I was in Vegas.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Let's not talk about roaming...I just got my phone bill for the month of July while I was in Vegas.

and you need to head to BCC?
    and you need to head to BCC?

Online will do for now =)

Ok..seriously back on topic. I know a few guys who have used this stick to play online poker (in the US). I only know 1 person who has this in Canada and he's with Rogers - no complaints from him yet with reliability, but just like everything else, the transfer speed is obviously still a tad slow.

Personally, I prefer to tether my laptop with my Blackberry right now, as I do have a 6GB dataplan with my Blackberry and I have yet to see the need to get a stick on top of that data plan.

Umm.that is likely it on that count..he was definitely playing in Vegas....bill was about 9k...lmfao

I know when I spoke to Telus aobut one for my laptop, and told them what I wanted...they told me it wasn't a good idea, as any streaming data would just cost ridiculous amounts...
  • westside8 wrote: »

Phack....no shiite....going to have to set up a plan next time, or buy pay & go phone while down there for calls & texting.
  • Umm.that is likely it on that count..he was definitely playing in Vegas....bill was about 9k...lmfao

I know when I spoke to Telus aobut one for my laptop, and told them what I wanted...they told me it wasn't a good idea, as any streaming data would just cost ridiculous amounts...

Yeah, didn't realize roaming charges would be on there. Just about got talked into getting one for the roadtrip to Vegas (play while driving)....glad I didn't now.

I was under the impression the data would be small for online poker.....can someone confirm this.
  • A -EV gambooler won the Lotto 6/49 jackpot this weekend and was asked what he would spend the $20.4 million on:

"A wireless Internet stick for his laptop." :biggrin:
    Dead Money wrote: »
    I play all the time with my Fido card.
    They are shipping me the new USB stick today. I will let you know if it works.
  • After I read the first sentence, I thought you had won the lottery!!! :)
  • So, has anyone made any inquiries or tried playing poker with one of these sticks first hand? Was also at work today daydreaming of playing poker while on the assembly line.
  • Sorry cant speak about a turbo stick but just a word of warning, I called bell in regards to tethering my laptop to my blackberry and most data plans dont allow this and the extra charges are crazy.
  • Sorry cant speak about a turbo stick but just a word of warning, I called bell in regards to tethering my laptop to my blackberry and most data plans dont allow this and the extra charges are crazy.

I looked into tethering with a I Phone with Fido. They allow it with a special plan. It only ups the basic data plan by 5 bucks. Well worth the 5 bucks.

Most data plans...after all the fees are around 50 bucks
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    So, has anyone made any inquiries or tried playing poker with one of these sticks first hand? Was also at work today daydreaming of playing poker while on the assembly line.

I have been playing with a Fido air card for about 2 years. Works well.
  • Just played with my iphone tethered. Works well.
    Played 5 hrs (4 tourneys) 870 hands and consumed 20MB of data (with some browsing)
    Just played with my iphone tethered. Works well.
    Played 5 hrs (4 tourneys) 870 hands and consumed 20MB of data (with some browsing)

I have the iphone 3G, is that what you used back then Hobbes?
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    I have the iphone 3G, is that what you used back then Hobbes?

Yes
  • Is there a cap to # of tables you can play tethered? Would it be hard to set up on a Bell iphone 4s?
  • Scotty12 wrote: »
    Is there a cap to # of tables you can play tethered? Would it be hard to set up on a Bell iphone 4s?

no limit to the amount of tables, I could grind 24 tables of 6 max cash, no problem... not saying I did well, but the internet was just fine >:D

I am with rogers, cant imagine bell being any different
  • Does the Siri voice assistant work OK in Canada? I want to install it on my iPod Touch 4G.
    Apple - Introducing Siri on iPhone 4S - YouTube
    Scotty12 wrote: »
    Would it be hard to set up on a Bell iphone 4s?