Your report caught my eye

I was reading one of your trip report for the Harvest Classic and noted one of your comments.

I believe the comment was I am on a loosing streak, it has been 21 tournaments since my last cash in ... or somthing like that (can't find it now).

I consider you one of the better tournament players, and my question is how often do you place in the money as a percentage.

I have played 7 B & M tounaments made the final table once, but have never cashed.

What would be a resonable expectation?

Thanks Dave.

Rob.

Comments

• I do not know. Although I keep thorough records I can't parse this info.

Generally, if 10% get paid my feeling is that I will make the money about 15% of the time. That means, of course, that 85% of the time I will not make the money. That will make for some LONG losing streaks.

Consider this thought exercise (have I posted this before?):

There are 100 players in a tournament. The distribution of skill level is typical of your local tournament. 10% of the field gets paid, heavily skewed to the top three. The buy-in is $1 (we will ignore the vig).

What is your Expected Value (EV)? In other words, in the long run what will you expect to make when you play a tournament. Note that this is not about hourly rate it is about "money won per tournament played."

To solve this question, you will need to assign each of the 100 players an EV. The total must equal $100. Obviously, some players will be negative EV players and others will be positive.

So, what is your EV?

****I am going to post this as a seperate thread because I find this a very interesting exercise****