Playing with the big boys

I am curious about sitting down at some of the higher NL tables..5/10nl for example...

Are most of these tables typically played by the same group of players day after day, weekend after weekend? If someone new comes in and sits down are they going to recognize this and basically pick on the new kid?

I am putting together a few buyins for the Edgewater, but have been warned that they will just band together and "pick on me" ..ie raising everything i play until I have to shove and hope..as it is pretty much like an old boys club...

thoughts?

Comments

• in general the players aren't much better than the 2 5 players, at least in calgary
  • +1 on GTA's comment.
  • +2

There isn't much of a difference. Just different coloured chips.
  • I am not too worried about the "game" if you will...just have been told that if I sit down there, it will be amongst a bunch of guys that play together all the time, and they will basically just take turns pushing me around..just curious if it was like this for this level anywhere else..being a new guy sitting down...
  • not here, i doubt the collective players are smart enough
  • the only problem with playing at these higher levels is getting over the fear of losing more money than your use to. Playing scared is losing poker, IMO.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    the only problem with playing at these higher levels is getting over the fear of losing more money than your use to. Playing scared is losing poker, IMO.

irony?
  • I doubt it would be an issue. I used to go to Edgewater when I was in Vancouver. I think enough traffic flows through that place that regulars wouldn't be able to mount a strategy against 'new guys' and push them around. Too many of them, and too many unknowns.

But, then again I'm a lower stakes nit, so what do I know.

Personally I preferred River Rock to Edgewater. Leaving Edgewater with any money in your pocket just felt like taking a swim in a pool of sharks with a steak suit on. Not the best area of town.
  • they will basically just take turns pushing me around..just curious if it was like this for this level anywhere else
    I wish that was the case whenever I sit down at 5/10, as it would be great for shortstacking. My initial impression is that there are also bad players at 5/10; these gamblers just have more disposable income so they don't get enough buzz playing the lower limits. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to carpool to Fallsview lately to keep playing 5/10.

• Personally I preferred River Rock to Edgewater. Leaving Edgewater with any money in your pocket just felt like taking a swim in a pool of sharks with a steak suit on. Not the best area of town.

This comment is ridiculous. Edgewater is right on the edge of Yaletown, super affluent, and completely safe.

you should read some of the posts on www.604poker.com might give you some insight.
  • I think enough traffic flows through that place that regulars wouldn't be able to mount a strategy against 'new guys' and push them around. Too many of them, and too many unknowns.

These were my initial thoughts..but thought I would ask about..
    the only problem with playing at these higher levels is getting over the fear of losing more money than your use to.

haha...what if I am not used to losing any?? but seriously..meh..not worried about the money, I don't play what I can't afford to lose.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    I wish that was the case whenever I sit down at 5/10, as it would be great for shortstacking.

+1

I don't know if they're better at pushing people around at 5/10 but the biggest live profit I've ever made I got being bullied by 5/5 regulars ^^'
  • haha...what if I am not used to losing any?? but seriously..meh..not worried about the money, I don't play what I can't afford to lose.

if your not use to losing any then you should probably stick with your current stakes as obviously you haven't been playing long enough.

What is the standard bankroll for NL.. 20-30 max buy-ins. Not sure what the max is for 5/10 but assuming it is $1k, if you have $20-$30k that you can afford to lose, then give it a shot. If your bankroll is smaller than this, it will affect your game eventually IMO.
    if your not use to losing any then you should probably stick with your current stakes as obviously you haven't been playing long enough.

What is the standard bankroll for NL.. 20-30 max buy-ins. Not sure what the max is for 5/10 but assuming it is $1k, if you have $20-$30k that you can afford to lose, then give it a shot. If your bankroll is smaller than this, it will affect your game eventually IMO.

I don't think he's playing for a living, so I don't think this kind of bankroll management is remotely useful.

So if you don't have $4-$6 G, you can't play 1-2?......sorry, but this advice makes no sense for the recreational player.

Take your shot.....here in Edmonton, it is alot of the same people. They're basically just people with more to gamble...very few nits. Can't see any concern for collusion from a whole table, no matter where you play.
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    So if you don't have $4-$6 G, you can't play 1-2?......sorry, but this advice makes no sense for the recreational player.

the first problem with this sentence is suggesting a recreational player play 5/10.
    the first problem with this sentence is suggesting a recreational player play 5/10.

There are lot's of recreational players playing 5/10, here, AC and Vegas. I am assuming by recreational you mean those not playing as a living, or at least not paying a portion of their daily expenses via poker earnings.

It's just a matter of disposable income, to some, ie you and I, a $200. pot may provide a "rush", To others it may take a $2000. pot or perhaps more. Has nothing to do with whether or not one is recreational or not...
  • As was said, bankroll management isn't an issue...and yep, I am a recreational player and I know a few others that play those limits. I play a few of them in a .10/.20 cent game. I play a few others in a 1/2 game...these aren't my concerns...l

As was mentioned in the opening post..I am/was concerned about possible "friendly" collusion..it was suggested that this would/could happen in Vancouver..

My reaction initially to this was...well..fuck em, If they start to push me around..I will push back, even if it costs me my first buy in..just let them know I am not afraid to get it in the middle...but, after hearing from a few here...I highly doubt this will be the case..

pokerJAH, you really seem to have a specific idea of what "poker players" are and should do. believe it or not, not all poker players feel the same as you about which stakes they play, how much they risk, how much money they use for poker, etc. etc.
  • trigs wrote: »
    pokerJAH, you really seem to have a specific idea of what "poker players" are and should do.

I thought this was a poker 'forum'?? if you don't like free honest advice, ignore it. Any 'recreational' player who thinks they can beat a 5/10 game is only kidding themselves. The higher the limits, the more experienced the players typically.
    Any 'recreational' player who thinks they can beat a 5/10 game is only kidding themselves. The higher the limits, the more experienced the players typically.

Why is that? Kidding themselves really? I have to laugh at that.

because You can't beat the 5/10 game so no rec player can. LOL

I prefer 2/5 or 5/5 and I have on numerous occassions have played 5/10, and I wouldn't say I crushed it, but I have held my own and have shown a profit, and I am just a rec player.
    I thought this was a poker 'forum'?? if you don't like free honest advice, ignore it. Any 'recreational' player who thinks they can beat a 5/10 game is only kidding themselves. The higher the limits, the more experienced the players typically.

Anyone can nit around a bit in a loose game and pick up a superior hand. nothing wrong with saving up some money and taking a shot, it's a pretty entertaining way to gain experience and possibly cash ^^'
  • SteveKerr wrote: »
    because You can't beat the 5/10 game so no rec player can. LOL.

no, but I was able to turn a nice profit at the Orangeville 1/2 table; can't say I have ever played 5/10. Even as a recreational player, I try to adhere to proper bankroll management.
  • SteveKerr wrote: »
    I prefer 2/5 or 5/5 and I have on numerous occassions have played 5/10, and I wouldn't say I crushed it, but I have held my own and have shown a profit, and I am just a rec player.

I would have to agree... Live I play $1/2 and 2/5, but a few times have played 5/10 and found the play to be not any different than 2/5. While in Vegas this year for WSOP I actually played some 5/10, partially because I wanted to try it (hey, I'm there...) and also because the 2/5 lists were sometimes 25+ deep. I played 5/10 at Venetian and TI (I think) and came out ahead and held my own. Only thing seemed to be was that the first-raise preflop was $40 - $50, at least at my tables.
  • I guess we all have our definitions of rec players. I mean myself personally I consider myself a rec player, but if I have the opportunity to I still play in the biggest games I can find. Its not really a matter of bankroll management in a live situation but more of game selection.

If I find a juicy 5/10 game or 10/20NL game you better believe I will take a shot at them. Really at the end of the day, there are only so many ways to play a hand and if you have 500 bucks in front of you or 5000, if someone goes all in preflop heads up in a cash game and you have AA are you going to fold?

That is the bottom line. If you feel comfortable with your game and you have the money there is no reason why you can't play "live" at a higher level. Now online is a totally different realm as you really have no reads to go on and the game is radically different.

I share the same experiences that OttawaPlayer does from the WSOP. Basically I ran my name across the entire board, didn't matter if it was 1/2 or 10/20, if the game was good and I thought it was beatable I played. Exactly what was said, in 1/2 I was raising to 7-11 preflop and in 2/5 I was raising 15-25 preflop, 5/10 I was raising to 50 preflop, and 10/20 I was opening at 115...
    (which reminds me I need to paste my trip report when I get home...been working on it for 3 weeks already....hahahaha)