R.I.P Walter Cronkite

Walter Cronkite, the former CBS anchor known as the Most Trusted Man in America, has died. He was 92.

"And that's the way it is ..."

Comments

• If anyone can say they lived a full life, he's one of them. RIP
  • RIP... How sad it is though that anyone under 27 was never blessed with the nightly visit with Uncle Walter.
  • I'm too young to have seen his best work, but having seen the clips of him announcing the lunar landing and the death of JFK showed me all I needed to know.

A picture may be worth a thousand words but those moments of speechlessness from a man who was paid to tell us the news, will be permanently etched in my brain.

The king of news has earned his rest.
  • Although he retired in '81 (to Dan Rather who is now retired!) he continued to file reports for different networks until 2008! Still working at 91 years old! Craziness!

Luckily we have youtube so we can see all those great moments from his prestigious career.
  • I really think he came from an era when news had more class. I'm sure he must have looked at the CNN and Fox news channels as an embarrassment to the industry which they both are.
  • I really think he came from an era when news had more class. I'm sure he must have looked at the CNN and Fox news channels as an embarrassment to the industry which they both are.

+1 on that Bill.. You are right, "news" reporting has changed drastically.. it seems now that it's purpose is entertainment..
  • Filed under "Thought he was dead already".

But I will say that he was in news when news meant something and not the blatant self-promotion that you see today. Fox, CNN, CNBC and even local newcasts all lack the pressence that he brought.

I just thought he died a while ago. I guess that was Brinkley.

I'm not sure class is the right word, although Cronkite had that in spades. I think his was the last era where news was just that: news/information.
    There was little, if any , attempt to "spin" things. The nightly news just told you what was going on in the world that day, and left it to you to figure out what it meant. Contrast that with the infotainment you get rammed into your cortex by CNN, FOX, et. al.