Computer setups

Hey guys, what's up? New to the forums. Glad to have found a Canadian online community dedicated to poker.

I was curious, what sort of computer rigs do most of you run with? Anything special? I'm currently using a 17" laptop but it's really old and slow as crap. I'll be upgrading soon and will likely get a new 17" and probably a 2nd monitor. Does anyone do the battlestation-like dual or triple display thing?

Any suggestions for laptop shopping?

Thanks.
-FtDNS

Comments

• Welcome to the site!

I used to do a laptop with a 22" monitor attached but now just do a 23" with a desktop. As for laptops it really depends on what you want it for. Do you plan on multi-tabling? Do you want Mac or Windows? Do you plan to use it for gaming? etc.
  • Welcome to CPF!

Here's a link to a laptop thread:

http://www.pokerforum.ca/f8/anyone-play-their-laptop-19759/
  • no much gaming really. (except some snes emulation awesomeness.) ;)

I only multi 2 to 4 tables. Nothing insane so a larger laptop screen with good resolution would likely be fine. A 2nd monitor would be a possibility as well for day trading and more tables but that'll likely be an add-on after.

I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to go with anything smaller than a 17"...
  • I would personally go for a 17" or bigger, but thats me. If you want something small that is easy to transport then go a bit smaller, if you don't care about weight or size then go big. Since you are probably only using this for poker/web surfing I think any laptop out there will do. If you are going to attach a monitor, try to get something with a slightly better graphics card, but prob not that important.
  • I was on dual 22" (well, 1 21" and 1 22") before, but now I'm just purely on one 27" (and probably will move up to dual 27" eventually - but that's more for me being able to xbox and still be on the computer doing stuff more than purely for poker purposes). Since you're only really play 2 to 4 tables and purely for poker/web surfing, most of the 17" laptops out there will suffice. If anything, like Graham mentioned, you can always attach an external monitor to it.
  • Currently play mainly on the laptop (17" works great for me).

It's about time for me to upgrade my PC.

What's better for monitors......dual 22", or one bigger (ie. 27" - 30"). I usually play 6 MTT's at the most, usually 4-5 though.
  • I used a triple 22" setup for a while, but I now run a 27" and a 22" on the side. I think for 5 tables you really only need one 22" monitor or two max.

and wes xbox on 27" monitor is so sick. bring your xbox over and you can play on the big screen and I'll play on my monitor!
  • I have to consider myself lucky. I've got a 24" monitor on my desktop that works well. The computer, though, is right beside the living room, so I have a great view of the 44" tv. It's great for when I'm grinding out a few ring games or during that point in the big tourneys where you just aren't hitting shit and are starting to think that 47o is a good hand to 3 bet with. I pop in a movie or game and all is well with the world.
  • NoVeLTeK wrote: »
    and wes xbox on 27" monitor is so sick. bring your xbox over and you can play on the big screen and I'll play on my monitor!

Seriously..we'll have to do that some time this summer before the term is done.