JOUR de POKER 2 - THIS SAT!!!!

The day we've all been waiting for has finally arrived!! Jour de Poker 2 will take place this Saturday, Nov. 20th at 2pm, with an expected runtime for the eventual winner of midnight. Also, this Wednesday is the final Satellite for the event and will take place at 7pm. If you're still interested in going, please email as there are a couple spots left. (If you're not sure if you've signed up please check out Event #4 at http://pokerforum.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=15988#post15988)

A couple minor changes to the format this weekend to go through..

1) Starting chip count is 10,000 and the blind structure will be similar to the WSOP, without the antes. The blinds have been scaled accordingly, so there should be no change in the expected time. The main reason to do this is to set apart Major Bristol Street events from the regular ones. Plus, I've always wanted to say, "I raised to $100,000". The blind schedule has been updated on the website, so have a look at the main thread (http://pokerforum.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=1782)

2) It's going to be cold and there's potentially going to be 30+ people for supper, so the BBQ is out and pizza is in. When the dinner break comes, I'll be taking up a small collection (probably $5/person) and get all the pizza that the money buys. If you hate pizza, we can have a second take out order.

3) I haven't heard from anyone yet that they'll be late. If you're not there when the cards are dealt you'll run the risk of giving up your seat to someone already on the waiting list. Please, please, please, if you can't make it for the start (doors open at 1pm, the game begins at 2pm) let me know as soon as you can. I'm willing to reserve your seat for a couple hours, but only if I know you're going to be late.

4) If you have an extra folding chair and are coming by car, please bring it. I'm roughly 8 chairs short for a 32 player tournament.

5) HAVE FUN!!! Check back Wed night to see the final list of all qualifiers and people who are on the waiting list. On Thursday, I'll be sending out a preview of the contestants.

6) Once the first tables begin collapsing, side games are welcome to start up.

7) Seat assignments will be randomly drawn before the tournament begins (early Sat. morning) in front of a panel of witnesses. This will help speed up the beginning of the tournament. The only thing that will be fixed is that I will be sitting at a table downstairs as close to the computer as possible. The clock will be paused during any rules dispute or when redrawing for seats.

8)Top 5 positions will be paid, and I'm scrounging for some fun poker related glitch for the final table (ie. 8 places) If you have something you want to get rid of, let me know and I'll throw it into the mix.

9) Thanks to everyone ahead of time. This is the biggest tournament I've yet run and here's hoping it goes smoothly! Good luck to everyone and enjoy yourselves!!!

Comments

• That' the kinda hype I'm talking about!!!! Can't wait, totally pumped, love pizza, gonna win!!!!

stp
  • are we going to get a shawna hiyatt to explain the rules of poker before we sit?

I have you covered for chairs, I will bring 8.

See you Saturday, BTW I am out for tonight...baby is stiill crying.... but she needs a new pair of shoes for saturday!
  • Sweet!!! Thanks a TON for the extra chairs, this'll really help out.
  • Zithal wrote:
    On Thursday, I'll be sending out a preview of the contestants.

Not to sound impatient or anything but this sounded too exciting!!
  • I got six players in, then work got in my way. Stupid job, making me do stupid work instead of glorious poker. Grrrr....
  • dont you hate when that happens...darn work.

stp
  • This sounds like its going to be an awesome event!

Too bad I didn't check the threads sooner, and too bad I usually work on Saturdays.

Although it is too early to ask...

are there any plans of a JOUR de Poker 3 Christmas event?

Please Please Please.....
  • stpboy wrote:
    Can't wait, totally pumped, love pizza, gonna win!!!!

stp

I waited (impatiently), I was pumped (totally), had an affair with the pizza, and I won...some money (came in 2nd).

Congrats Sirwatts on a great battle and all that made the final table. I'm off to the mall to spend my $300, ohhh yeahhhh (ala Quagmire). Zithal, great tourny as usual!

I was happy with the final result as I had been layed a few tough beats early and late in the tourny. First, Zithal down to about 3K in chips, goes all in UTG. I have about 8k and call with KK. He hits a runner runner two pair with his Ad 6d. I didn't really let it bother me.

Later in the tournament...3 handed, I'm the big stack. I limp in from the button with A2 trying to set a trap....thinking any ace is good. Small calls (sirwatts) and BB raises all in for another 30K (1/4 of my stack). I listen to him count it down and call. He has 47 offsuit and hits a 7. I eventually eliminated this guy when he raised with K6 off and I raised him all in with tens. He called and finished in 3rd. Sirwatts and I split $600 and played for the remaining $45. My Q10 was no match for his JJ when heads up, well played Sir.

stp
  • Congrats stpboy, on your high finish in such a prestigous event. :)

hork.
  • Thanks Shannon and well-played. Sadly this ranks as my biggest win in my young poker career but hopefully it's just the beginning. The part I found interesting was that you started the tournament 2 seats to my right and then got moved to one seat to my right early on. After that you pretty much spent the rest of the tournament there. When Rob put that beat on you I remember thinking 'Yes! Maybe we'll be able to get rid of this guy soon.' but unfortunately I had to put up with you the rest of the day :D I'll describe the one hand I thought was key for me.

At the final table I'm one of the short stacks with about 14k, blinds 800/1600 (I think). We're still one or two players short of the money for top 5. Folded to me on the button I find A3 and bet 4k to pick up the blinds. Towering stack, the other Mike, calls in SB, and BB folds. The flop comes 8-5-2, and big stack (SB) fires out 4k. He has been bullying the table and defending with a lot of hands, and I know he probably thinks I was on a steal and that the flop likely missed me. I don't want to bubble, but everything screams he's trying to push me off the pot. After a very long think I decide I have at least 7 outs and there is a good chance I'm ahead, so I push in for 6k more. He calls instantly so I think I'm dead but he shows just J9 and I double up. This was the first time I've been able to make such a strong play against a big stack who I think is bullying me, as opposed to my usual "go broke while waiting for a monster hand to trap him with."

Thanks again to Rob for running/organizing a great tournament as usual, too bad there were so many no shows, but still a great day.

Mike
  • I distinctly remember that hand and remember thinking what a great call it was. You went into the tank for a bit and eventually called. I had A3 off that hand also and folded it in EP. Congrats on your first big win, i'm sure you'll have more, you're a very good player.

stp