Ichiro Suzuki

any baseball guys out there know why Ichiro has his first name on his jersey? He is called Ichiro by anyone that talks about him and it sounds sound natural, it's almost like he doesn't he even have a last name lol
I'm just curious about his preference for that.

Comments

• I think that the Japanese culture addresses themselves by their first name last and last name first... not sure though...

That would mean his actual name is Suzuki Ichiro.. hence the last name on the jersey

Mark
  • Baseball wouldn't give free advertising to Suzuki so since they wouldn't pay he had to put Ichiro on instead.
  • moose wrote: »
    Baseball wouldn't give free advertising to Suzuki so since they wouldn't pay he had to put Ichiro on instead.

<insert groan here>
  • It started when he was in Japan. When he played for the Orix Blue Wave, he was known as Ichiro and had it on the back on his jersey there. It followed him to the States after mbl granted a request from seattle.

Prophet22
  • Hey! Brent's alive!!

Mark
  • Course he's alive. He was just trying out for "Fourth and Long" with Michael Irvin, is all . . .
  • Japanese culture believes that the family is more important than the first name, thus they read it as Suzuki Ichiro, so his first name ended up on the jersey because people in the States weren't bright enough to realize that they were reading the name as it is spoken in his culture. Which, when you look at it, they're really being disrespectful in that his first name is now on his jersey instead of his family name. Ugh.
  • slight tangent

I was at a Kitchener Rangers game a year or two ago and noticed one of the opponents had his native name "BIG SNAKE" on the back of his jersey. I thought it was amusing and they even announced it when he got a point.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Hey! Brent's alive!!

Mark

For now he is alive! His day of reckoning is coming soon Aug 16th is just around the corner.

Cam
  • BLAZIN 72 wrote: »
    For now he is alive! His day of reckoning is coming soon Aug 16th is just around the corner.

Cam

Cam, do I detect a prop bet against your brother? ;)
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Cam, do I detect a prop bet against your brother? ;)

Yeah, he has his work cut out for him.

He has to do a tri a triathlon on August 16th. It consist of a swim of 750m swim followed by a 30km bike ride followed by a 7.5km run. He has only lost 50 pounds. I feeling pretty good about winning.

Cam
  • That's a sprint triathalon...

"Try a Tri's" are usually much shorter... something like 100m / 10k / 2k...

Mark
  • BLAZIN 72 wrote: »
    . He has only lost 50 pounds. Cam
    Hey 50lbs is pretty good, he's got to feel a lot better... Good luck Brent, I'm pulling for you.. And how are you doing Cam? How's the family?