easy to fold flopped A-A-A?

2 tables tonight, 15 mins into the game I look down at :ah:7h

I am UTG+2, I limp in, button raises, blinds fold, I call. 2 players to the flop.

:ac:ad:qd

I check, opponent bets small, I call.

:5c

Wanting to take charge now because of the 2 flush draws, I bet out and opponent instantly goes A.I.

So, I am faced with the humoungus over-bet...

- possibly up against Q-Q, A-Q, A-x or maybe even K-K but would villain really risk his tourney life with those K's that early in hopes I don't have an A? Is he trying to get me off of the flush draw? Why so big of a bet?

All of those scenarios and not a single one of them specifically passed through my mind until the ride home. All I thought was, I have top set. I did actually "think" about it for 20 seconds or so but it wasn't "what could he have?", it was more of sick feeling of "am I willing to risk all my chips this early?". So, subconsciously, I must have known that I could be in trouble but I didn't think of how I could be in trouble. I called. Villain throws up :as and a King of some flavour. Out kicked. Needed one of three 7's to win or one three Q's or three 5's to split.

Am I dealing with a case of hindsight is 20/20 or is it a tough but ultimately right fold? Suck it up and live to play another hand?

Comments

• more info, limits, stacks, etc
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    more info, limits, stacks, etc

- NLHE

- 1500 starting stack, 20 min blinds

- I had 1200 and change, villain had 1300 and change but we didn't figure that out until afterwards

- blinds were at 5/10 (first level)

- I had approx 200 in the pot (with 1200 behind)
  • idk. But you have to ask yourself:

You get 3 bet 1500 into a 200 pot. What are you beating?

btw you have no history with villain but if you did clear fold.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    idk. But you have to ask yourself:

You get 3 bet 1500 into a 200 pot. What are you beating?

btw you have no history with villain but if you did clear fold.

+1
    It was a massive overbet.
  • I tend to bet/raise the flop instead of just calling. I rather pay for a cheaper turn card then face a big bet on the turn and have to make a decision then.

If you raise the flop and get called you can then say:

1. He has a flush draw (little unlikely as most people don't chase flushes on paired boards...and also what equity would they be getting just heads up)

2. He has an Ace and now I have kicker problems so I will check the turn hoping to see a cheap river.

The all in bet on the turn is not a bluff, he is protecting his hand against the flush draw figuring your call meant you were drawing. Without any hard reads this is a fold. I don't like putting my money in with A-rag knowing that there are a lot of hands that could beat me and judging from the way this game was being played, I can pick a much better spot to win chips.
  • For the OP, I think that it is a hard fold from a discipline perspective, but it is right to fold here. The hand I would be most afraid of here is QQ.

You are in the first level, so why risk all of your chips when you don't have the nuts.
  • Essentially, you can only beat a bluff here. Due to the small size of the pot, I don't believe many people would bluff off their stack this early.

Easy fold.
  • AJ I get it in. A10 I have a decision. I tend to ask myself what I can't beat instead of what I can beat and if villain is smart he's not gonna have a boat here because of the fd's. Possibly a set of 5s or A5 for some random reason I guess but otherwise it's AK, AJ, A10, maybe even Ax or some KK ,KQ cheese hands. If you call and trail you most likely have some redraws..

It's a pretty tempting call but I guess A7 is slightly too much behind his shipping range.