Top Ten Mistakes Poker Clubs Make

I have played at a lot of poker clubs over the last three years and I have noticed a lot of common mistakes poker clubs make. Here is my top ten list:

1. Enforce the rules - its your club, but there are certain basic rules that should be enforced. Don't let players take chips off the table, don't let dealers talk about a live hand or get involved in the action, etc.

2. Learn the rules of the game - it is the club owner's final decision if there is a dispute over the rules of the game. As a result, try to learn the rules of the game and make correct calls.

3. If you advertize a freeroll at 8pm, don't cancel it because you don't get a predetermined number of players to show up. Why should the players be penalized because you can't fill the club?

4. Charging for drinks - nothing pisses me off more than getting raked 10% and having to pay $1 for water or pop. Don't be so tight and give your players some free food and drink.

5. Ripping off the jackpot - players are not stupid; if you rake $2 a hand over 10 hours and only pay out $300 for the high hand jackpot for the night and say there is no rake, players realize you are raping the jackpot.

6. Learn to control the dealers - make sure you have dealers that know the rules and don't interfere in the action. Also they should enforce the rules at the table.

7. Spend some money on your club - don't be cheap and have crappy lighting, poker tables, broken chairs, etc.

8. If the game is short handed, play in the game as well. Not sure if players have an issue with this, but most club owners don't play that great so I don't mind if they sit in. Rather this than playing short handed.

9. Rake - as a player, I want to minimize the rake. I don't need extra jackpots, like bad beat or a hostess, etc. Keep the costs minimal to the players. Also, make sure the dealers rake the correct amount from the pot. Don't round up the rake on the hand.

10. Don't change tonight's menu - don't change the structure of the tournament (from freezeout to rebuy or add ons, etc.) or the cash game limits that you have previously advertized. If you advertize 1/2 on a Monday night, don't change it to 5/5 on a whim. Also hate when a tournament becomes a rebuy and the payout structure doesn't change as a result (see point #5).

Did I forget anything??

Comments

• If you're going to advertise a $40 freezeout to entice players to come out, HOLD IT! Been to a couple where only 12 to 15 players show up to play the tournament, and the host determines he won't run < 20 and instead puts up more cash tables.

Other than that, good list JAH...pretty complete imo
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Other than that, good list JAH...pretty complete imo

Its a work in progress; this is a good point. Some clubs change the structure of the tournament from freezeout to rebuy, add-on, etc. at the last minute. It can piss off players if they travel a long distance to play a certain structure to find out it has changed. I have added it to point #10.
  • I agree with pretty much everything in your post..

Im trying to get a semi club started... just a single table game..

Im offering free non alc beverages and food

debating whether or not to sell Alc

also struggling to get enough players to run the game.. Ive already pissed off one guy on the forum by having to cancel on him 3 times

if you or anyone is interested in a 1/2 nl game with a friendly atmosphere

right now i dont have a high hand jackpot but if you bring new players i'll give u 10 bucks in chips for everyone u bring

also I suck and I will sit in if the game starts to get thin.. I just want to get it going right now
  • One thing I hate in games.

Paying for Jackpots.

I hate paying $1/pot for a Jackpot.

I'd rather just play poker and not have $1 taken out of each pot.
  • One thing I hate in games.

Paying for Jackpots.

I hate paying $1/pot for a Jackpot.

I'd rather just play poker and not have $1 taken out of each pot.

I remember one club that had a royal flush jackpot that built up every week. Don't think they ever paid it out. Just extra rake for the players.

There is a club I play at in Brampton that rakes $2 hand for the high hand of the night. They always keep the high hand chips on the main cash table throughout the night and the players can ask at any point where the high hand jackpot stands. This is a very fair way of doing it. Once the chips leave the table, the integrity of the jackpot is lost.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    I remember one club that had a royal flush jackpot that built up every week. Don't think they ever paid it out. Just extra rake for the players.

There is a club I play at in Brampton that rakes $2 hand for the high hand of the night. They always keep the high hand chips on the main cash table throughout the night and the players can ask at any point where the high hand jackpot stands. This is a very fair way of doing it. Once the chips leave the table, the integrity of the jackpot is lost.

Agreed.

Most thinking players view jackpots as theft.
  • With all the new poker clubs advertising now on this site, though i would refresh this old thread.