Too weak preflop w/AK?

It's a $5.50 2R1A tourney, the nightly one at 8:15pm EST. We're about to hit the break in 5 minutes, and in the sb I get AKo. One guy pushes, who hadn't really been doing anything for 15-20 minutes aside from folding. The guy right after him flat calls, which he has been doing a lot of. I have them both easily stacked as I'm currently 4th in chips. I think about it for about 20 seconds and fold. The grinder flips over QQ. Cally wally flips over 99. As you can see, I would have won and I know that wally would have called off his stack on the flop. I had yet to use either rebuy, which in this tourney you can use at any point before the first break as long as you don't have 1,000,000 in chips. Bad fold, super weak, or good laydown because of the grinder pushing first?

PokerStars Game #30250557576: Tournament #176962739, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (40/80) - 2009/07/08 21:10:29 ET
Table '176962739 28' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: GDS_Ferrol (15730 in chips)
Seat 2: J-Phil-M (5790 in chips)
Seat 3: youngguns777 (3150 in chips)
Seat 4: MKGB (4339 in chips)
Seat 5: Str8upgr8up (705 in chips)
Seat 6: McAusland (21970 in chips)
Seat 7: Castelhano (8295 in chips)
Seat 8: Taeweazy (7290 in chips)
Seat 9: tjetski4 (2786 in chips)
McAusland: posts small blind 40
Castelhano: posts big blind 80
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to McAusland [Ac Kh]
Taeweazy: folds
tjetski4: raises 2706 to 2786 and is all-in
GDS_Ferrol: calls 2786
J-Phil-M: folds
youngguns777: folds
MKGB: folds
Str8upgr8up: folds
McAusland: folds
Castelhano: folds
*** FLOP *** [Jc Tc 2c]
*** TURN *** [Jc Tc 2c] [Ks]
*** RIVER *** [Jc Tc 2c Ks] [6c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
tjetski4: shows [Qs Qc] (a flush, Queen high)
GDS_Ferrol: shows [9d 9s] (a pair of Nines)
tjetski4 collected 5692 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 5692 | Rake 0
Board [Jc Tc 2c Ks 6c]
Seat 1: GDS_Ferrol showed [9d 9s] and lost with a pair of Nines
Seat 2: J-Phil-M folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: youngguns777 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: MKGB folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Str8upgr8up (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: McAusland (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: Castelhano (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: Taeweazy folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: tjetski4 showed [Qs Qc] and won (5692) with a flush, Queen high

Comments

• I don't actually hate it... given the right situations.

i folded AK a little while ago in a live tourney b/c there was me, UTG, who raised, a bad bad bad bad player who called, and then a tight-ish player who was getting to short pushed. I folded AK b/c I figured the pusher had a pocket pair, and the bad bad bad player had one of my aces...

Mark
  • Its a rebuy tourney a few minutes from the break, get er in there
  • Folding is horrible here, considering the game youre playing.

If its not a rebuy - not so bad.

Get the money in. The original raisers stack is irrelevant. You want 99's chips here.
  • Agreed, I glady get it in here....you've got a very deep stack so you can afford to get in these spots in order to grow an even bigger stack which will make things much easier for you later on.
  • If it were a regular unlimited rebuy I'd have snap pushed. Being that it's a 2 rebuy max, that was where I started thinking a little more. Turned out to work out anyways. I got 7th. Made $270 or so in profit. :)
  • Interesting spot....

I have to give credit to the original pusher to be pushing with Ace high (any shove I usually give credit for A-X, most 3-4bets are PP unless they are tricky players)

Really its a roll of the dice at this point, usually 20K is a good stack to continue on after the rebuy period, especially if its only 1R 1A. If I feel like gambling I will shove every AK/AQ/AJ I get in a rebuy period knowing that I want to build a stack up, but you really have to decide that going into the tourney and you can't make decisions later on in the rebuy period based on current situations.

Anyways, the flat call by the guy with 15K is instant pocket pair and most likely he is calling your shove so you are racing with what I would guess to be 5 outs against him (like I said before the cards are flipped I give credit for the short stack holding AX or KX)