RIP Martin Streek

It was always fun back in the day going to The Phoenix and The Kingdom when Martin was doing the live to airs for The Edge. Especially when Martin would leave the DJ booth and buy a round of shots for those at the bar.

I am sorry that you felt you had to take your own life

RIP Martin

Comments

• Some very heartbroken people today. A guy at work knew him pretty well as he was in the industry. I have never seen the poor guy so distraught.
  • Wow...shocking news, didn't even know about this.

RIP Martin
  • Horrible news.

The Thursday 30 and live to air on Sunday night from Velvet Underground were staples of my misspent youth.

This one really hurts.
  • my apologies for off topic Q but I couldn't find the answer...What does GG mean?
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    my apologies for off topic Q but I couldn't find the answer...What does GG mean?

GG = Good Game
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    GG = Good Game

Figures that I posted my question in the wrong thread as GG isn't used here but it is used in other obituary threads. Does it still mean Good Game when used there?
  • I wander into off topic lounge for once and find this. It's a tough read but thanks for posting. I recall last year driving back one morning from an overnight session at Niagara. I was tired but was ok because I was laughing so much at one of his History of New Music episodes. It was about various rock stars and the crazy things they did when they were drugged up (i.e. especially David Bowie)

Also have some fond memories from the Phoenix.

Goodbye Martin
  • Wrong Guy Literation, Alan Cross does the OnGoingHistoryOfNewMusic. (not the first person I've seen make the error so it's common)

Martin did all the Live to Air stuff from various clubs and did the Thursday thirty.

He was the last of the original CFNY guys and I think it was the death of the station when they fired him (and Barry Taylor) in May. Done with that station. fuck em and the rest of the Corus entertainment bitches.

For a couple of great tributes, check out Alan Cross' tribute here,

ExploreMusic - News - Martin Streek: This Charming Man

and Jeff Woods

Martin was part of the soul of the indy music scene in Canada. there is a huge void now.....Let the Stories Begin indeed.
  • SuitedPair wrote: »
    For a couple of great tributes, check out Alan Cross' tribute here,

ExploreMusic - News - Martin Streek: This Charming Man

and Jeff Woods

Martin was part of the soul of the indy music scene in Canada. there is a huge void now.....Let the Stories Begin indeed.

Big thanks for those.

"Emotional feedback
    On a timeless wavelength
    Bearing a gift beyond price ---
    Almost free..."
  • Thanks SuitedPair I was expecting this. Was out last night telling someone who never listened to CFNY that MJ is no news for me compared to Martin Streek as having lived in Brampton in the 80s and....uh, wait he doesn't do OnGoingHistoryOfNewMusic, opps.
    I still have my Thursday 30 & Phoenix memories (and one time Kingdom visit) although some of the others might be slipping.

Thanks for the links.