Not So Green Bins (Toronto)

Apparently the city's green bin program is a bit of a sham.

TheStar.com | GTA | Green bins: A wasted effort?

Comments

• Somebody explain to me, again, why we aren't incinerating our trash to make energy, like sensible countries do?
  • Because it still lets out greenhouse gases, which are bad. There's ways to get thermal energy out of garbage without incinerating it.

Please don't ask me to explain the science behind it as I don't get it at all, I just know there's a way.
  • hate to burst anyone's bubble, by all of recycling is a sham. the vast majority of "recycling" bins are simply thrown into regular dumps. if the recycling is not sorted properly it is thrown into regular dumps. hell, i challenge you to simply drive down to your local dump and check out the giant "recycling" bins there. one glance in the "cardboard only" bin and you'll easily see the glass, plastic, broken computers, etc. sitting in there. i don't know about you, but i've never seen a cardboard computer before.
  • You never saw a TRS-80? And Cerb? I was under the impression that, with modern incineration to energy systems, the GHG emissions that are produced are far less than the results of landfilling said trash (ie Methane, etc.) Was I mistaken?
  • Its only a wasted effort when they are taking shortcuts to meet Miller's agenda by 2010. Instead of having the proper resources in place, he's allowing the garbage to get dumped any which way just to say its been done.

Miller has some back stepping to do now to get his 'plan' on the 'right' road and KEEP it there.
  • Milo wrote: »
    You never saw a TRS-80? And Cerb? I was under the impression that, with modern incineration to energy systems, the GHG emissions that are produced are far less than the results of landfilling said trash (ie Methane, etc.) Was I mistaken?

You're probably right and I'm just not as smart as I thought :)