what move?

Full Tilt Poker Game #12974296427: $11 + $1 Sit & Go (Turbo) (96348764), Table 1 - 60/120 - No Limit Hold'em - 20:49:25 ET - 2009/06/22
Seat 1: stajo24 (1,340)
Seat 3: jcashx36x (1,580)
Seat 4: TestJunkie (1,540)
Seat 5: KKRYSTIANE (1,770)
Seat 6: girinim (2,435)
Seat 7: Gordon J Gekko (1,390)
Seat 8: puckhead23 (1,210)
Seat 9: Bcboy72 (2,235)
KKRYSTIANE posts the small blind of 60
girinim posts the big blind of 120
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Bcboy72 [Js Jh]

Table full of nits, I am biggest aggressor with vpip 39/pfr 18/ steal 14

I would like to just 3xbb, but dammit..they are jacks..I limp..same problem..no one is aggressive to reraise with Ax...just gonna get some callers and overs on the flop....I shove..only gonna get called by monsters..

whats the play?

Comments

• Generally I would setmine a loose table, Jacks arent *that* big, but if they are all nits I would raise to 3xBB, if called cbet and then go from there.

Id shut it down after if i missed the set/there are overcards
  • The more I think on it...even with being (the most) LAG at the table..and maybe that is even more reason to....I am thinking the limping (mining) is the right move there..Any big Ace should raise to let me know where I sit...but dammit..I don't want see a king or queen limp in on the button and hit either..Normally I would limp this without an issue..but, I am not sure when I am the most aggressive at the table..usually I am the nit..lol
  • No it's not.. raise.

Raising hides your hand since you've been doing it so much, and someone may finally decide to play sheriff. WTF is this talk about "Normally I would limp"? Did you learn poker from PokerJah?

Mark
  • If you play LAG why would you ever limp your big hands?

PokerJah PokerJah
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    No it's not.. raise.

Raising hides your hand since you've been doing it so much, and someone may finally decide to play sheriff. WTF is this talk about "Normally I would limp"? Did you learn poker from PokerJah?

Mark

Sounds like the Phil Gordon school of poker. Anything <QQ you limp in and hope you hit your set and someone stacks themself for you.
  • lmao...most of the games at this level a 3x raise gets called by A9-K and KJ KQ..etc..so raising it really does no good here...but this table was tight for some reason tonight..so this is why I posted the question...get a wider understanding..

yeah..I am normally pretty tight...(just happened to be LAG for this particular table)..and I would limp this to set mine in most circumstances...

I did shove with it....in standard fashion for what I had been playing..hoping for a "sheriff" with a smaller pair...but no callers...but, I was wondering if that was the right move here...
  • 10s+ in SNGs are shoves, you are hoping someone calls with AX or a lower pair cause they put you on AK or some sort of spew.

It works more times than not. When I was coaching my brother the other night in one of these he turned the nut flush and shoved and got two callers, one with a Q high flush and the other with 1 pair.

Online shoves everyone thinks you are bluffing...its hilarious...
  • This is such an autoshove it's not funny.

Limping is terrible. Look at the stack sizes. Look at your position!

1. You don't have implied odds to set mine. Stack sizes are 10-12 big blinds. You want 20-30 big blind stack sizes to set mine to get implied odds.

2. You are a LAG, If you're playing a LAG style you must push with your big hands for balance if you are pushing with your suited connectors and small pairs.

Limping here is a colossal blunder that I see all the time.
  • I hate the limp here, but why are we open shoving? While I agree that sometimes you'll get looked up light - I think open shoving here only gets you calls by hands that crush you, or flips. Possibly occasional 88-1010, a10-aj, but rare.

Stack sizes at the table are far too level for shove calls from 22-77, or ax (where x<10)

Just open the pot and play as normal.

Edit: Unless you have a suuper aggro image. But 9/10 nobody is paying attention.
  • T

1. You don't have implied odds to set mine. Stack sizes are 10-12 big blinds. You want 20-30 big blind stack sizes to set mine to get implied odds.

Agreed
    Wetts1012 wrote: »
    I hate the limp here, but why are we open shoving? While I agree that sometimes you'll get looked up light - I think open shoving here only gets you calls by hands that crush you, or flips. Possibly occasional 88-1010, a10-aj, but rare.

Also agreed, but also find at this 10-11 (more the 11 turbo) buck level...a 3x bb raise gets called very often by Ax x=9+ or KQ, KJ, QJ...so, this is why I was/am in debate...

Maybe a min raise to look like a monster and not committing too many chips?

Or..just shove and hope for a call by something weak? Position isn't terrible here..not great..but not terrible.
  • min raise = fps = no point early in a sng.

Just 3x raise is fine. Shoving is overkill on a table full of nits. Nits still call a 3x raise with small pps.
  • lmao...most of the games at this level a 3x raise gets called by A9-K and KJ KQ..etc..so raising it really does no good here...but this table was tight for some reason tonight..so this is why I posted the question...get a wider understanding..

This bolded part is precisely why you should be raising 3xBB (hell, a little more if they'll call it), with JJ.

Tell me you understand why?!?

Mark
  • whats the play?

I find your question peculiar, it's like you're sitting with jacks and are thinkinh, "How can I make these win?". You know how to play em, man. They're gonna get beat now and then but that can't deter you from making the move you know is right. Make your standard PFR, whatever that is and follow thru. There's always the possibility of running into TT, 99, or the other side QQ+ but that comes with the territory. Limp, PFR, w/e... just don't get scared, you're most likely the favorite.

GTAPoker wrote: »
    If you play LAG why would you ever limp your big hands?

exactly
  • Allow me to continue this thread with a post flop scenario that occures from time to time:

You do your standard 3BB-raise with your jacks and get one caller from late position (button or one of the blinds), let's say for the sake of the argument that it's the button here, so we're OOP. Flop comes with one overcard. What to do? Villain is a "normal" player, meaning his nor extremely LAG, neither very nitty. And his nor a fish, neither an expert player with +10% ROI over thousands of games

Do we c-bet, and what to do if villain raises?
    Do we check, and what to do if villain makes a standard bet of say 3/4 of the pot?

Are this decisions dependant on whether the overcard was a queen, a king or an ace?