Fish Radio: Broadcasting Live to All Players

Had a funny story to share, and I'm sure all of you have seen something like this in your poker playing history.

I had a low limit hold em game this weekend and we had a full table at 10 people. This is a friendly game we try and have about once every three weeks. One couple has recently joined us and this was their third game, so they are still learning the basics.

One of my friends who is currently the chip leader, is in the pot with the new fish, er I mean poker friend. She is the type of player who will normally call everything, and for the most part, will never raise.

My friend flops two pair and decides to throw in a bet after she checks to him.

She calls (duh).

At the turn, there is a straight possiblity, she checks again, and my friend throws in a bet.

She calls.

Before the river comes (I'm the dealer), I can hear her say "Come on, come on" quietly.

My friend who's two seats over from her, obviously hears the same thing.

The river comes down and it's a rag.

I look over at her and she's staring at the board, then after a pause, says (in a non-muttered tone) "damn.".

My buddy looks over to me with that look "I'm shooting fish in a barrel ... with an elephant gun ... at close range ... to the head" and throws in his bet.

She folds.

This story happened three times in four hours. Classic.

Comments

• I had a similar one but in exact reverse. My buddy, after many beers and at about 5:00 am tried the worst bluff attempt ever. After a K hit on the river (I forget the rest of the board, but he was calling along to that point) he let out a perfectly audible but somewhat quiet "yes!", loud enough to be heard by everyone. Of course the opponent bet, and he folded. I still bug him about that one, in what is easily the very worst bluff/attempted show of strength I have ever seen.
  • Those are great stories!!! I wish there was a bit more people like that in the world...but, I guess thinking back, I've made some pretty silly move myself...
  • My friend flops two pair

Before the river comes (I'm the dealer), I can hear her say "Come on, come on" quietly.

My friend who's two seats over from her, obviously hears the same thing.

The river comes down and it's a rag.

I look over at her and she's staring at the board, then after a pause, says (in a non-muttered tone) "damn.".

My buddy looks over to me with that look "I'm shooting fish in a barrel ... with an elephant gun ... at close range ... to the head" and throws in his bet.

Why bet the river?

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    Why bet the river?
    Maybe because it's a funnier story that way...

It could also be because really bad players have a tendancy to irrationally call with anything, even when they're playing the board.