GG Big Zez

Peter Zezel passed away today. Not the greatest hockey player in the world, but a really good guy, on and off the ice. What you used to call an "honest" player, in that he always gave everything he had.

Met him at a ball hockey tournament when I was 23, though I did not know it was him until later. I played defense, and lined up for the draw against this bull of a winger. I was 6'4" and weighed about 240 at the time. I tried to lean on him before the ref dropped the ball, but he might as well have been a brick wall. When the ball dropped, so did I as Zezel went through me to the slot, where he tipped the point shot home. In the bar afterwards, this guy comes over and drops off a beer saying, "this is for trying . . .", with a big grin on his face. I recognized the guy he was with, and then it twigged who it was that ran me over. Peter Zezel bulldozed me, and then bought me a round for the privilege . . .

RIP

Comments

• Wow thats sad. I met the guy a long time ago as well when he was with the leafs.