Painting your garage floor?

Anyone done this and if so what product did you use?

Was a sealer needed?

Thinking of wasting a few days getting my garage reorganized and figured I paint the floor.

TIA

Comments

• Clean it first with muriatic acid.
  • Number of factors to consider, metal or wood, manual or automatic open? Can you paint it without taking it down? Is it solid or pieced?
  • compuease wrote: »
    Number of factors to consider, metal or wood, manual or automatic open? Can you paint it without taking it down? Is it solid or pieced?

Jeff did you "IRISH UP" your coffee today? Floor not door.
  • moose wrote: »
    Clean it first with muriatic acid.

Is that like an etcher? Basically to clean away any oil or grease? or am I thinking of something different.

Figure I will head to HomeDepot later today but 90% of the time they just try and sell you the whole boat. I'd rather hear from you guys that might have done it.
  • Voodoo wrote: »
    Jeff did you "IRISH UP" your coffee today? Floor not door.
    lol, was sure your post said door, sure you didn't edit it? :)
    Well is the floor wood or metal? :)
  • LOL..

Concrete.
  • Muriatic acid is a corrosive liquid that will "burn" off any stains the concrete has absorbed on it's surface layers. Even if you cannot see any, they are there, so do it. Muriatic acid will also blind you if it gets in your eyes, so PAY ATTENTION to the SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS. Once you have treated your floor to the acid, and cleaned up the residue, you are good to go.

For the record, seal, then paint. Unless you're using some ungodly thick, molasses-like paint.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Muriatic acid will also blind you if it gets in your eyes, so PAY ATTENTION to the SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS.

He plays blind anyways, I have seen it!
  • I have done it...10 years ago. Make sure you seal the floor first...and get any grime out.

I park two cars in the garage and no chipping has happened yet. The only area the paint has lifted is where the ashpalt meets the concrete. The snow sits there for a while before I get a chance to shovel it. I think its acid snow...maybe
  • The form at the Mike Holmes site offers some good instructions for doing this including product recommendations. May be another good info location for you.
  • Thanks guys.. and I will check that forum out as well. Seems like Behr is popular from others I talked to. I just don't want if peeling afterwards, that shit drives me nuts.
  • Just a quick question from a painter Voodoo. Are you absolutely sure you want to paint it? At this point you have a maintenance free surface. Once painted, you have do deal with it when stuff cracks, peels, etc. I always ask this question when people are considering painting concrete floors. Basement or garage. Some people don't think of the future efforts/costs they'll have to deal with.

As for product, you might also consider a concrete stain. As for Behr....never liked their products. Never tried their porch and floor paint though. Go with latex no matter what you choose. It's generally best for concrete. Do a comparison between Ben Moore and whatever else you're considering. BM will always hold up better than most other brands.

Anyhoo, that's all I've got time for right now. I hate mornings.
  • Yeah Bill the floor didn't look right so I took the chance it will work.

Just finished it now. Time will tell whether it was worth it or not but I figure once I have the garage organized and clean I can host some rake free tournies. :)
  • Just be sure not to drag anything really heavy over it for at least a few weeks. Paint dries to the touch in a few hours depending on the environment, but doesn't actually cure for quite a while depending on the product.

What product did you end up using?
  • Ended up going with the Behr 2 part poxy (sp?). Used the Cleaner/Etcher first and then after washing it and letting it dry a while I mixed the 2 paints together and painted it. Its dry to touch now but basically everything that was on the floor is either in my living room now or the front porch. Will give it a couple days before atleast attempting to move the stuff in and probably a few more days after that til I park the car.