Next move?

What (if anything) should I be betting here and why? Player is loose aggressive and I would expect him to show up with K rag here pretty often.

PokerStars Game #28365584342: Tournament #164891880, $3.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2009/05/19 2:33:02 ET
Table '164891880 1' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 3: mechief32 (3973 in chips)
Seat 5: Quinner777 (2822 in chips)
Seat 7: onukuno (2065 in chips)
Seat 8: TreborAdieb (4640 in chips)
Quinner777: posts small blind 100
onukuno: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Quinner777 [8h 8d]
TreborAdieb: folds
mechief32: folds
Quinner777: raises 400 to 600
onukuno: calls 400
*** FLOP *** [Kc Th 7d]
Quinner777: ? ? ?

Check/fold to aggression? Or is there some weird reason to continuation bet here? Or should I have just shoved pf and made this whole discussion moot.

Comments

• Just shove pre, so you don't have any decision to make post oop with that hand.
  • +1 on the shove pre if this is blind vs. blind.
  • I tend to mix upp shoves with raises to around 3BB in this situations. But I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it. Some players argue that if you always bet the same amount you don't give your opponents any tells. Maybe so. But this will mean you have to always raise 3BB rather than shove (because there will be situations for sure when you want to have the opportunity to back off if some opponent bites back). But if you always raise 3BB you will have to face the problem with this calling stations (or perhaps even good, tricky players who think they can outplay you on the flop or later streets).

If you don't restrict your self to a fixed betting pattern PF I would have shoved with this hand. Simple reason: This is a hand I would prefer not to play postflop or flip with. But it's far too strong to consider a fold to a re-raise from a loose aggresive player.

Postflop: It's also bubble play, so the situation is very difficult. Of course there can be king-high hands in his calling range. But isn't it most likely that he called with a lower pair or an ace-high hand? (With TT+ or AK I would expect HIM to shove)

In what way did you see him as a LAG? Did he re-raise often? Had you seen him bluffing? Or was it more like he limped into many pots and bet post-flop if no one else showed strength? If so, perhaps a bet of 1/2 the pot from you would make him fold if there wasn't any kings in his hand? If he puts you all-in (most likely I guess since he only have 1400 left in his stack, but you never know with this fishy callers) you have an option to fold with 1500 left. But then you'll be by far the most shortstacked on the table. If you check-fold LAG will have 2900 and you 2200.

Of course we can hope for a check behind us if we check. But as you describe him we probably will face a bet. All in all a really difficult spot and I'm not sure what I would have done. To be quite honest I think it will depend upon my temper and what general mood I'm in when the game takes place. Which probably explains why I'm NOT a poker star! :):ah:)
  • You don't want to play a 1200 pot with 1465 deep stacks out of position do you?

88 is drawing to 2 cards. The rest of the time overcards will flop.

... So then you are making some tough flop decsions.

Shove all in preflop.

One thing I think you need to do is work on your preflop game.

You are asking a bunch of questions about the flop/turn/river but the real problem with your game is bad preflop play.

It's good that you're asking questions though.. keep at it.
  • with your stack size and pocket eights, this is definitely a preflop shove