BJ Bitches

1. WTF? Roof closed again today. Looking forward to a really great day at the park and I spent it indoors. Jays management is fucking clueless.

2. I remember when the ushers would hand out AllStar game ballots to everyone at the game. Now they just stand there with a few in their hand and I practically had to throw a handful of peanuts at the guy to get his attention. Then he hands me two for three people. WTF? Don't they want any Jays to go? No pencils either so no write in for Hill for the Home Run derby.

Comments

• 1. Last I heard the roof was broken and they're waiting for a part that's on backorder
  • It was open once on the w/e.
  • Rios almost had an upper decker today. clutch!
  • I heard somewhere that they're keeping the roof closed for most of the year. I'm pretty sure the Jays have a better winning record (or %) when the Dome is closed.
  • Doesn't matter. The Dome was supposed to be an open-air stadium that could be closed in bad weather, not a closed stadium that could be opened when the powers that be decided to be nice. Most of the other retractable roof stadia operate as the former, understanding that sports is a "fresh-air" thing. Sadly, Toronto fans do not get that kind of thinking from those in charge.
  • I was there on monday too....I heard someone say it costs like $50,000 every time they open or close it....+ A/C costs etc..
  • Cannot be more expensive to have it open then closed. As for the actual operation costs to perform the opening. I remember reading somewhere that the design was supposed to be ridiculously cheap, because the system used a very small electrical load based on what it was moving. Maybe rates have changed since opening day for the Dome, but the mechanicals sure haven't, as we would have heard about it, I'm sure
  • Remember that The Dome is used for other groups/events other then the Jays that may need the roof closed.
  • The actual electrical costs of moving the dome are "about $100"... but that dosen't include the staff of I believe 8 people to spot it, and correct anything that goes wrong.

That also doesn't include the loss / need for AC / climate control given the altered state, though I doubt AC would cost $49,900....

Mark
  • The roof is very cheap to open. The problem is that they have to a spotter walking and watching along the rails. This roof was to be completely automatic. The whole system is broken. The dome roof has not worked properly in over 10 years. They will not open it if they don't have the people to watch it.
  • Anyone else expecting a different conversation based on the topic title?
    i dunno..i'm just saying?