the beauty of aggression

every once in a while, you have one of those hands in a low limit game that just makes you laugh, and makes everyone else at the table cry and think you are the biggest thief in the world...

So i'm at River Rock playing 4-8, and its your typical low limit table, with not a tonne of preflop raising, and lots of people seeing flops. 'Any two suited' is how some people play. Most players tend to be weak and passive. I don't play that much limit (only when waiting for my NL seat), so I probably don't have much of an image at this table.

In this particular hand, i am dealt black sevens in middle-late position. There is a live straddle from someone who doesn't have that many chips left, who i know will probably put all of his chips in if its an action hand. Anyways, there are 2 limpers, I raise to 3 bets (anticipating another raise to isolate), BB calls, straddler makes it 4 bets, first limper thinks a long time and then folds thinking i might cap it, second limper calls, i call, and now BB caps it at 5 bets, and called around.

Whew, so 3 different people raised, and there are ~23 bets in the pot and 4 people to the flop. The flop comes AAT (might have been a flush draw, don't remember). Ok, not great for me, but seeing a pair of aces is better than 1 ace, i might still be good. Its checked around to me, I bet, all 3 people call (utg/straddler is all in at this point). Hmm ok, no raises, thats either very good or very bad. Next card is an unscary 8. Checked to me again. At this point I think if someone had an ace, they would have bet by now. So i bet again, and its called all around again. Now I'm pretty sure I'm beat, one of those people, probably the BB, must have some sort of pocket pair that they refuse to fold. The all-in might have nothing, and the old lady could have anything (a few hands before, she was in a heads-up pot that she went all the way with on a low card gutshot draw). The BB is the type of player who would probably call down with a middle pair in this situation. Fine, I'm resigned to my fate at this point. So the last card comes another T. And its checked again to me. Now I start to think no one has a ten either, and instead of checking, I bet quickly. The pot is huge, and now i might be able to get a middle pair to fold.

Sure enough, the BB mutters 'betting again eh' and disgustingly throws away his JJ, claiming he would have called if another T didn't come (as if its more likely I have a ten than an ace?). The UTG/straddler doesn't show yet because we are dealing with the side pot, so the old woman mucks saying she missed her str8 draw (QJ i think). I get pushed the side pot and tell the UTG that 'I play the board, my 77 was conterfeited). He turns over 75 and we split the rest. Haha.....so the 2 best hands folded, and the 2 worst hands win the money, ya gotta love that. All because of aggression and position.

As an aside, the old woman called me down on a hand 10 minutes later with a pair of aces and weak kicker when I flopped a flush....she said she had to because I 'had nothing' in the hand I described. Good stuff.