Another NHL Team in Ontario? BRING IT ON!

2»

Comments

• Leafs and Sabres have had a monopoly on professional hockey in this region since the beginning, and like any business, they fear any new competition that may jeopardize their revenue.

However, Leaf supporters should be demanding a second team to FORCE the Leaf management into putting forth an effort to build a better franchise. Another local team would definitely be a struggle for fan $$, and it could mean that the Leafs actually do something to bring the cup back, even just once more before I die.

And yes, Jeff, I do remember those years...BARELY...but I do remember them.
  • Whatever happens I hope (and think) that it will cost Bettman his job. Even if he wins the court battle, other teams will have to prop up the Coyotes with league money. I don't think the other owners will be all that happy about it. And when league revenues do not match the projections, the salary cap will fall, affecting player's salaries and bringing the NHLPA to Balsillie's side.

What I'm hoping is that the owners will also eventually side with Balsillie when they see the money that the man brings to the table.

Bettman's NHL south experiment has failed.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Another local team would definitely be a struggle for fan $$,

Why would it be a struggle? There's a 15 year waiting list for Leaf season tickets. Another team in S. Ontario won't affect Leaf revenues at all. Their games will still be sold out. Another team will just give all those fans on the waiting list a chance to buy NHL tickets.

Even with two S. Ontario teams, there will still be a waiting list for both franchises.
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    Another team will just give all those fans on the waiting list a chance to buy NHL tickets.

That's a great point. The visiting teams fans would show up in droves to see their teams.

The media seems to think the Coyotes will be in Hamilton, but I hope they come to the Tri-cities or even London!
  • Coyotes won't go to Hamilton even if they do move. If I remember correctly, it's a $75 million price tag to put a team in there between Buffalo and Toronto. Ballsillie is a crazy rich guy but he's not a stupid crazy rich guy.
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Coyotes won't go to Hamilton even if they do move. If I remember correctly, it's a $75 million price tag to put a team in there between Buffalo and Toronto. Ballsillie is a crazy rich guy but he's not a stupid crazy rich guy.

I dunno.....he pays out millions every year for American rock bands to play in Kitchener.

All the better about Hamilton though, bring the Coyotes to K-dub!
  • From today's KW Record:
    Balsillie wants cash to renovate Copps

Jim Balsillie will seek public funds to renovate Copps Coliseum if he scores an NHL team for Hamilton.

The BlackBerry billionaire would foot the bill for initial upgrades, estimated at $30 million, to get the arena ready for a team.

But when it comes to a long-term overhaul of the city-owned facility, which could cost upwards of $150 million, Balsillie would ask Hamilton to "work with the two upper tiers of government to seek infrastructure funding," said his spokesperson Bill Walker.

The request marks the first time Balsillie has publicly stated he's looking for government financing. It was previously thought he would bankroll the entire renovation to bring the arena up to NHL standards.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger said he doesn't think the request is "out of line" and would likely be positively received.

"I do know there is interest from other levels of government to look at this," he said, noting the government has helped other cities fund pro sports facilities.

No money will come from the city, added Eisenberger.

A spokesperson for Premier Dalton McGuinty noted he has been "enthusiastic in his support of a southern Ontario hockey team."

"We've worked well with the City of Hamilton and would look at any infrastructure request that comes forward," said Karman Wong, adding the province can't speculate on the outcome until it sees a proposal.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has also spoken in favour of another Canadian NHL team, saying he believes there's enough support in southern Ontario.

A spokesperson for Transport, Infrastructure and Communities Minister John Baird said the government is currently reviewing Hamilton's infrastructure requests for this year.

If their priorities change, "the city must let us know," said Chris Day.

City council is expected to consider a lease deal with Balsillie at its meeting tonight. The co-CEO of Research In Motion wants to lock up rights to Copps as he continues to fight the NHL for control of the bankrupt Phoenix Coyotes in court.

Eisenberger said the city is seeking firm funding commitments from Balsillie that were lacking in previous agreements.

"We are going to make it sweeter than it was," he said. "We are asking for more assurances than we had last time."

Eisenberger declined to identify the dollar figure the city wants on paper. He explained the city's last agreement with Balsillie in 2007 called for significant investment at Copps. Council had verbal assurances from Balsillie that he would foot the bill for renovations in the range of $100 million to $150 million, said Eisenberger.
  • That's goot
  • compuease wrote: »
    And which do you think carries more weight, the NHL's bylaws ot the US bankruptcy laws?

Obviously the US bankruptcy laws. But do you really think that they want to force the NHL to let Balsillie have a team and force the NHL to let him move it, and then on top of that to let him move it wherever he wants even if it happens to be right near 2 franchises. That's far more than I'd bet on.