Best Golf Shot Ever

Tiger's had a few but this is absolutely fabulous.

Vijay Singh in the Masters practice round skipping the ball over water to the 16th green.....

YouTube - Vijay Singh hole in one Masters 2009 shot at 16 redbud

and a different view.....

YouTube - Masters -Vijay Singh-ACE- Another View - Skips Ball Across Water- Hole In One 4/7/09

Comments

• Unreal! Thats amazing!
  • Second clip shows that he needs to take a penalty for hitting from in front of the tee markers. Hell of a shot, but no more impressive than the mid-level guy a few years ago who dunked it on 17 at Sawgrass, then drains the next one for a (less than routine) par. I actually prefer the Sawgrass shot because it occurred during the tournament. Fun to see stuff like this but, meh . . .
  • That was on the Tuesday during the par 3 competition. Everyone tries to lose on purpose in that competition because no one who has won it has also won that years Masters.
  • Pretty sure the par-3 course does not use any of the holes from the main course. But, having only ever driven past the course, I am not sure . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    Fun to see stuff like this but, meh . . .

Yeah, I sensed that kind of feeling from the crowds reaction.....oh and Ken Duke's too.....the other pro who almost fell over and decided not to hit his because he knew there was no topping it.

Did you go to the same one room school house as compuease to get your masters in stick-in-the-muddedness?
    Hell of a shot, but no more impressive than the mid-level guy a few years ago who dunked it on 17 at Sawgrass, then drains the next one for a (less than routine) par.

This is the first time I have ever heard Fred Couples referred to as a mid-level guy.
  • buzzzardd wrote: »
    this is the first time i have ever heard fred couples referred to as a mid-level guy.

qft
  • Apologies to Boom-Boom, I had forgotten it was him. As for the stick in the muddedness (I like that), that shot has been done (ie skip it across the pond, into the cup) several times by the pros. You will probably find several videos on youtube quite easily so, other than it being Tuesday of Masters week, yeah . . . meh.
    Hell, I have skipped one across the pond onto the green on a par 3 before. I won't try to claim it was intentional, but I made my par nonetheless. For the pros, it is a nice little trick to show off with, that is all.

For the record, the two most impressive shots I have personally witnessed both occurred at Glen Abbey.

Laura Davies bombing a 3 metal off the deck on number 4 to a distance of 296 yards at the Du Maurier. I can be that precise because it was one of the holes they were using to measure driving distance. She just dropped the ball on the turf, and hit the hell out of it. Second longest of the day, but the winner used driver.

Winner goes to Billy Andrade on #9. Second round of the Canadian Open, and he is in the left rough, amongst the trees and 5 inch grass. He knows he is missing the cut, so this is clearly a what-the-hell shot. He takes a 5 metal and hacks it out. The ball stays under the branches (<6ft.) for a good 30-40 yards before beginning to rise. It rises in a nice steady arc, dropping softly onto the green and stopping about ten feet from the pin. Ball stays under branches, then rises over pond, THEN drops softly enough to allow a birdie putt to drop. He looks over at the six of us that were watching and says, "any good?", then starts laughing. Golf is a silly game sometimes.
  • Milo, did you even watch the video? He skipped it across the water and it went in the hole.

I think the stick in your ass is in so deep it's touching brain.
  • As I said, Z, I have seen a number pros do that on different occasions. Specifically, Dave Pelz used to do a Short Game show on Golf Channel, and I watched him hit four shots in a row, using the skip shot, to green that was about 100-125 yds. away. He was hitting from a fairway rather than a green, but managed to get them all within about 15 feet, and drained one of them. Pelz is not a pro, but an instructor, albeit a damn good one.
    Getting it across is not the trick for these guys, getting it CLOSE is. I said in my first post it was a hell of a shot, I just do not think it was a huge stretch of Vijay's talent. That is all.

You can all go ga-ga now. I will stop.
    He was hitting from a fairway rather than a green, but managed to get them all within about 15 feet, and drained one of them.

Getting it across is not the trick for these guys, getting it CLOSE is. I said in my first post it was a hell of a shot, I just do not think it was a huge stretch of Vijay's talent. That is all.

[ ] Hitting from the green
    [X] Hitting from in front of the tee box
    [ ] skipping a ball across the water and into the hole is meh
  • I've seen lots of guys chip in from off the green before.....hell, I've even done it myself a few times. That's why when I saw this shot the first time I was all meh and shit.....

YouTube - Tiger Woods Chip at the 2005 Masters
  • Thanks, HM, for illustrating my point. THAT shot required more skill, imagination, and outright BALLS than the one in the OP. THOSE are the kinds of shots I appreciate. Certainly moreso than a fluky ace hit for shits and giggles during a practice round. BYE BYE
  • The point is here .

You are here -> you're missing it.

Tiger took two minutes to find the right landing spot, read slope and hit the perfect shot. Amazing!

Vijay dropped a ball in the rough in front of the tee boxes and within 2 seconds took a swing and hit it across water with 4 or 5 skips and into the same hole. More amazing! Vijay could hit Tiger's shot given a 100 chances or so......the variability on Vijay's is infinitely higher.

Bye.

• Vijay dropped a ball in the rough in front of the tee boxes and within 2 seconds took a swing and hit it across water with 4 or 5 skips and into the same hole. More amazing! Vijay could hit Tiger's shot given a 100 chances or so......the variability on Vijay's is infinitely higher.

And if you think Vijay was "trying" to do anything other than get it across the pond to dazzle the gallery, you're dreaming. So nighty-night, now
  • Dear Milo,

You are usually one of the most intelligent posters on this forum. <-- That and a quarter will get you a $0.25 chicken wing.

That being said, you have lost your mind ITT.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    Dear Milo,

You are usually one of the most intelligent posters on this forum. <-- That and a quarter will get you a $0.25 chicken wing.

That being said, you have lost your mind ITT.

This.

I don't care what anyone says, that was ****ing amazing!!