Insurance (Automobile)

Hey all

I hate dealing with this shit. I hate the fact that everyplace you go seems to be trying to screw you over. Anyways..

My car insurance company sent me a quote for my renewal this year, and are looking to increase my rates by 25%. Personally, I find this to be a bit high, considering I have had no accidents, made no claims, and the one ticket that I have had "expired" last month from insurance.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone on here has any sort of insurance know-how, or can refer me to somewhere that doesn't have a tagline that reads "anally raping you since 19xx".

Mark

Comments

• No group insurance through work? or professional associations?
  • not sure if you have Dave's (wolffhound) contact info, but he used to be in the insurance industry.

Claims Adjuster iirc
  • Mark, go to an insurance broker. When I moved here (Ontario) from Vancouver earlier this year, I was told I'd be paying less for car insurance. I went to a number of different companies and they all quoted me 3X what I was paying out west! Said that because I'm a painter I needed commercial insurance. I explained that I bring my tools to work just the same way they bring their laptops to work. One tool is like any other, and I'm not using it in the car anyway. They wouldn't budge.

Went through a broker. They ended up finding me a good policy, at slightly over half of what I was paying in Vancouver. As well, they clearly understood that I use my car to get back and forth from work, but it's not a commercial vehicle.

The others (Cooperators, TD insurance, etc.) couldn't look up from the forms and tickboxes they use to put you into an appropriate pidgeon hole, and quoted accordingly.

Can't hurt to give them a call.
  • I feel your pain, Dr. I used to change auto insurance companies every 1-2 years due to continual unjustified rapings (totally clean record for 15 years and yet massive increases every year ... fuckers).

I have, however, done well with TD Meloche Monnex for the last 3 years. Rate increases each year no more than 1-2% and was a (relatively) very good price to start with. Only (potential) problem is that they only do the group insurance thing. If you are a university or college grad, there's a good chance your alumni association will qualify you. They do professional associations as well, but I don't know which ones or if you might belong to one.

If you want a joke, call Belair Direct (ING Canada). I got the most horrible quotes by far from them on two different insurance hunts. Last time it was literally 3x the Meloche Monnex quote (for the exact same coverage). I did have some fun answering their rep when she asked "Do you mind if I ask how this quote compares with others you have received?" :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
  • I feel your pain, Dr. I used to change auto insurance companies every 1-2 years due to continual unjustified rapings (totally clean record for 15 years and yet massive increases every year ... fuckers).

I have, however, done well with TD Meloche Monnex for the last 3 years. Rate increases each year no more than 1-2% and was a (relatively) very good price to start with. Only (potential) problem is that they only do the group insurance thing. If you are a university or college grad, there's a good chance your alumni association will qualify you. They do professional associations as well, but I don't know which ones or if you might belong to one.

If you want a joke, call Belair Direct (ING Canada). I got the most horrible quotes by far from them on two different insurance hunts. Last time it was literally 3x the Meloche Monnex quote (for the exact same coverage). I did have some fun answering their rep when she asked "Do you mind if I ask how this quote compares with others you have received?" :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hahaha..he is no Dr. ;)

I remember when I was first getting insurance I got a quote from Belair for almost $8000 per year :D
  • I used Dejardins (Certas) for 6 months and it was very very inexpensive. I called a few weeks ago to add a second car to my policy and they informed me they cancelled my insurance for non-payment (there was no non-payment). Enraged, I called AMA (CAA to you I guess) and got two vehicles for about the same as I was paying for one. It was crazy. By far the best deal I've found. Worth a call.

• I have, however, done well with TD Meloche Monnex for the last 3 years. Rate increases each year no more than 1-2% and was a (relatively) very good price to start with. Only (potential) problem is that they only do the group insurance thing. If you are a university or college grad, there's a good chance your alumni association will qualify you. They do professional associations as well, but I don't know which ones or if you might belong to one.

lol.... wait until you have to renew... guess who i used

Mark
  • Mark,

A buddy of mine (Ryan_yo) suggested I try (Shawn) Corrigan Insurance brokers a couple of years ago. Shawn had emailed Ryan out of the blue and said he found a cheaper Insurance for him and wanted to know if Ryan wanted it changed. I thought that sounded pretty awesome and when I was looking to renew I met with Shawn and liked what I heard.

The guy is great to deal with and always responds in a timely manner (everytime I've emailed him he has gotten back to me the same day)....

Anyway, he is in Cambridge. Worth a look for sure!

Shannon

oh, here is his contact...

Shawn Corrigan, MA CIP
    President
    Corrigan & Associates Insurance Brokers
    519-624-1443
    519-624-4196 (Fax)
  • DrTyore wrote: »

Mark

Awww shit. Why do you tell me these things? My renewal is coming up next month and now I'm already on a semi pre-tilt.

:'( l l l [] l l l l l l :rage:
  • I've been with Meloche Monnex for 5 years with my professional affiliation. My rates have stayed the same or dropped over the years.

I just did a kanetix quote and the top 11 ranged from 48% to 146% more than what I'm currently paying.

Maybe you felted some guy from TD and he remembers you.
  • Quimby wrote: »
    Maybe you felted some guy from TD and he remembers you.

Let's be honest. The reason for the increased quote is that they finally realized he's driving an Easter egg with four wheels, and they've garnered damning behavioural information from this site.
  • DrTyore wrote: »

Mark

Just got my renewal from TDMM now (I forgot that I switched from June to September a couple years ago). Got jacked by 20% ... almost as bad. Even with the hike, I suspect finding a better rate for comparable coverage will be hard.

Mark - Did you happen to find anyone better? I'll probably check out at least one or two places.
  • News reports a week or so ago mentioned that the Insurance bastards were going to be jacking rates big time in the coming months. I guess it's started. Better get my dialing finger ready for next year . . . apparently, the justification is that people are milking the system with medical expenses, therapy, etc.

It's all bullshit, anyway, because they know they have you over a barrel. You HAVE to have insurance, so their attitude is BOHICA, and God help you if you make a claim, because half the fuckers will just refuse your bsiness after that.

My Cube, which Nissan calls a car, was classified as a truck/van by my insurance carrier, simply because they had never insured one before, and the truck/van rate was higher . . .

Next spring, I am out the door.