Another Really Strange DoN Spot

Frankly, as much as I would like to think that I thought this out I did not and realized it right after I reraised. Still, in hindsight it does offer a rather strange situation which offered a lot of interesting choices. The big stack is never folding anything obviously

PokerStars Game #26378386423: Tournament #150885003, $10.00+$0.40 Omaha Pot Limit - Level VII (125/250) - 2009/03/26 9:28:43 ET
Table '150885003 1' 10-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 2: Monteroy (1500 in chips)
Seat 4: Timmur1 (4045 in chips)
Seat 7: imekanni (3030 in chips)
Seat 8: RollTideRoll (1685 in chips)
Seat 9: tbuck27 (3475 in chips)
Seat 10: doc1906 (1265 in chips)
doc1906: posts small blind 125
Monteroy: posts big blind 250
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Monteroy [Qs 8c Tc Kh]
Timmur1: folds
imekanni: folds
RollTideRoll: folds
tbuck27: raises 625 to 875
doc1906: calls 750
Monteroy: raises 625 to 1500 and is all-in
tbuck27: calls 625
doc1906: folds
*** FLOP *** [4c 9c 9s]
*** TURN *** [4c 9c 9s] [7c]
*** RIVER *** [4c 9c 9s 7c] [4h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Monteroy: shows [Qs 8c Tc Kh] (a flush, Ten high)
tbuck27: shows [9d 3s 3c As] (three of a kind, Nines)
Monteroy collected 3875 from pot

docs play the whole time has been utterly horrid in a strange passive way, so his call here in the sb is just what he always did, namely call a lot.

I do have him covered by about 250 so if I flat call then we both fold the flop in theory I am still ahead of him but that is a pretty ugly scenario.

I could just fold which is definitely a reasonable option, but what I wanted to do was just get a 3 way since the only way I completely lose then is if the short stack finishes 1st and I finish 3rd.

Once I did reraise it did give the short stack a way to sort of escape, albeit pretty much at a he will lose for sure if I win now cost.

I am really not even sure what the correct play is here =O

Comments

• I'm pretty sure I just fold here...
  • Yeah, I am pretty sure I fold here as well if I used my brain. I admit I assumed the sb would call the all in to create the 3 way scenario I had planned. Oops. Well, guess it worked out.

Guess it is a bit trickier if the sb had shoved and you know the 3 way scenario can exist. I think folding or calling are both reasonable in that situation (given the decent run down hand I had), though perhaps mathematically there is a best solution.
  • I fold.....how does the short stack fold to the raise......especially in PLO?
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    I fold.....how does the short stack fold to the raise......especially in PLO?

Hoping the hero would bust so he makes the money.
  • DoNs are all about busting the short stack. Avoid situations with bigger stacks unless you feel you are well ahead. With Omaha, this is even harder as you are never really WAY ahead.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Hoping the hero would bust so he makes the money.

wtf....I guess I should read the title.......I still fold
  • This almost seems like you didn't want to lose your 250 in the BB.

tbuck isn't folding and you're 5/6 with a mediocre hand.

I would fold.
  • Oh, I never assumed the big stack would fold. I just assumed the sb would call and it would be a 3 way all in. Once I raised I realized that oops he could in theory fold here (which is certainly his best move).

Basically my error was in creating a scenario where the sb who made a strange bad play cold calling into a possible escape for him (albeit in a way putting pretty much all of his eggs in that basket).

The big stack was raising any 4 cards in that spot (he is a regular, I would do the same) , so I did feel my hand would play fine against his random hand, but I did make a mistake creating the heads up situation there.

I still prefer a 3 way to folding and letting them go heads up, but there was no way to make sure it was a 3 way without committing first, so with that the fold is most likely the correct play by quite a bit.
  • I just got told I was "ruining the game" in a DoN because it was down to 4 and I was using my big stack to try and get people all in and bust them :)
  • You bully graham..... I always do that :)
  • Graham wrote: »
    I just got told I was "ruining the game" in a DoN because it was down to 4 and I was using my big stack to try and get people all in and bust them :)

Umm isn't that exactly what your suppose to do?
  • Quinner wrote: »
    Umm isn't that exactly what your suppose to do?

Yes, but apparently some people play poker for fun and don't care about money.