How to tilt a tourney pro in a cash game at the Venetian

I'm sitting with this guy to my right:

Welcome to Mark Hanna's Personal Website

Very nice guy, I've not heard of him but I assume he's a famous player when he gets asked to sign a hat. I ask him if I should know who he is and he says yes. I ask if his fame is from ouside or inside the poker world and he says in the poker world. I say ok and leave it at that. Nice guy, terrible nit cash game player.

2 5 NLH. Player 3 to my right who raises every 2nd pot to $20-$30 open limps, folded to my sb. I have 23o and the bb is pretty tight player so I go 25 to build a small pot to steal from the limper on the flop. BB stares me down for literally 20 seconds then calls. Um, ok we aren't in the WPT, but thanks for letting me know you have TT+, AQ+. Flop A45dd, pretty decent flop for the worst HU hand in poker. I bet 55, he raises, limper folds, I push and hold vs his set of aces.

Pro to my right slowly has his head explode trying to figure out who raised preflop and then being told how the action went.

Good times at the V.

Comments

• so much for the run ending in Vegas; great story. Should have said, "Mark who"?
  • Was 2/5 the biggest game there or were they running bigger? Have you played anywhere else?
  • The 2/5 game is pretty big at the V, one to three tables. They ususally have a table of 5/10 going...thats the big game.
  • I would love to hear your opinion on some of the different rooms you have played at during your stay. I will likely stick to 1/2 or 1/3. I never realized how small some of these poker rooms are. I always figured that Vegas poker rooms would be massive but a lot are actually smaller than my local Friday night poker club in the GTA. I think the largest poker rooms in Vegas are probably close in size to the Niagara or Seneca poker rooms.
  • Dead Money wrote: »
    The 2/5 game is pretty big at the V, one to three tables. They ususally have a table of 5/10 going...thats the big game.

When I was there last Nov, 2/5 was the biggest for most of the time with sometimes a 5/10 NL and some PLO games (BF was there more often, so he can probably chime in).
    pokerJAH wrote: »
    I would love to hear your opinion on some of the different rooms you have played at during your stay. I will likely stick to 1/2 or 1/3. I never realized how small some of these poker rooms are. I always figured that Vegas poker rooms would be massive but a lot are actually smaller than my local Friday night poker club in the GTA. I think the largest poker rooms in Vegas are probably close in size to the Niagara or Seneca poker rooms.

The reason for that is because there are so many different promos/options ran by different poker rooms to attract a player. 1/2 to my knowledge is still running strong with tourists at MGM Grand, so that could be a solid "home base" for you.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    1/2 to my knowledge is still running strong with tourists at MGM Grand, so that could be a solid "home base" for you.
    Absolutely concur with this statement, MGM has probably 6-8 1/2 tables going most evenings and more at busy times. Lots of choice, loose games, players with no idea of drawing odds.... Prepare for variance but if you can't beat these games long term there is no hope... I would say 30-40% are just looking to gamble it up... Don't worry about slow playing big hands, get it in there, you will get called.
  • I just got home from a 14 hour session (hurray for struggling to break even over a 14h god awful run) at the Venetian -- they have like 40+ tables of cash games going during the deepstack events. I would say 10+ tables of 2 5, 3 tables of 5 10 running almost all night (I just closed the last one at 9am after playing 4 handed), one table of 2 5 PLO, 15-20 tables of 1 2, some 4 8 limit.

Biggest I've played are 2 5 PLO (1k cap) (stuck 1k over 13+ hours tonight) and 5 10NLH (no cap) (up 900+ after 30 mins tonight). Have also played some 2 5 NL and about 15 mins of 1 2 NL.

I haven't played anywhere else this trip, no need. Best room I've ever played.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    I would love to hear your opinion on some of the different rooms you have played at during your stay. I will likely stick to 1/2 or 1/3. I never realized how small some of these poker rooms are. I always figured that Vegas poker rooms would be massive but a lot are actually smaller than my local Friday night poker club in the GTA. I think the largest poker rooms in Vegas are probably close in size to the Niagara or Seneca poker rooms.

Venetian easily has 60 tables going between tournies and cash during peak hours of the deepstack event series.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Venetian easily has 60 tables going between tournies and cash during peak hours of the deepstack event series.

Venetian seems to have been able to retain players as it was the most busy a few months ago.
  • Caesars is a big poker room with lots of action going on, with another big room in the back for their tournaments.
  • SteveKerr wrote: »
    Caesars is a big poker room with lots of action going on, with another big room in the back for their tournaments.

Not anymore..action died there with most of the players at Venetian. It's a big room (and very nice) but they struggle to put a 2/5 game together nowadays.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Not anymore..action died there with most of the players at Venetian. It's a big room (and very nice) but they struggle to put a 2/5 game together nowadays.

The way things change in less then a year
  • GTA- Great post, I would read it again.

JAH/KERR-I didn't play at The V, but I did get to Ceasers. They only had a few 1/2 tables and 1 2/5 although the tournament room was almost full. That's where I made the most profit, but it was probably the the toughest game I found. There was only 1 fish at the table that wasn't me and I stacked him.

Seriously hit MGM. Great fish pond.