how to throw/pitch/deal cards

when i'm dealing in a game i usually feel really self-conscious. at least once every other time i deal i expose a card.

i've gotten sort of non-retarded over the other parts of dealing since i started playing live but this has me facepalming inside every time i fuck up and a card flips over.

googling this hasn't brought up a lot of good information.

obviously i can lean over the table and almost place cards one by one but i'd really like to not look like a clown eventually.

i didn't know whether to post this in b&m but this seems like the best place. oh well.

Comments

• Practice practice practice. Just grab a deck (try and use a poker deck so they are the right size) and pitch them them into a bunch of spots. Don't be random about it. Pick specific spots.

It is all muscle memory. Eventually you will just intuitively know how much wrist action and what angle will get you what you want.

Also, examine how you are holding the card in your pitching hand. Some people grab a corner between thumb and index finger, some people grab between index and middle finger.

Basically for right handers - deck in left hand, thumb slides top card off, right hand grabs card, pitch using wrist.

Always hold the deck close to your body angled downward slightly. New dealers tend to hold the deck too high and expose the card as they bring it off the top.

Some dealers throw downward and they slide into place, some lob them and they land in place (this way is harder but looks better).

Practice practice practice.
  • Also, occasionally pitch with your non dominant hand -- nothing like some stranger action once in a while
  • poy wrote: »
    pitch using wrist.

really? this seems like a great way to get carpal tunnel.
  • if the movement is uncomfortable, you're doing it wrong.
  • zoolook wrote: »
    when i'm dealing in a game i usually feel really self-conscious. at least once every other time i deal i expose a card.

i've gotten sort of non-retarded over the other parts of dealing since i started playing live but this has me facepalming inside every time i fuck up and a card flips over.

obviously i can lean over the table and almost place cards one by one but i'd really like to not look like a clown eventually.

i didn't know whether to post this in b&m but this seems like the best place. oh well.

you're adorable!

It is just practice sadly, you'll get there!
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    you're adorable!

It is just practice sadly, you'll get there!

Really? He deals so bad I miss Metro.
  • One thing I have found to make it easier (for me anyway)..is yeah, the downward angle so the card slides across the table...but instead of grabbing with the thumb and index for tossing the card, I use the index and middle fingers...

The other thing I hate is those (cheap) automatic card shufflers...they seem to put a bend in the cards and they always flip after..
  • zoolook wrote: »

Bring a topless server (my preferance is female...but whatever) with you......have her deal when it's your turn.