What would you do?

What would you do? Two spots

4/8 game relatively passive, with a few calling stations

me in Late position

two limpers and i limp with A3s(spades) as does the button.

SB completes and BB raises ... everyone calls.

FLOP: Js 3h 5h

Flop: SB checks, BB bets, first limper folds, second limper calls

action to me: I call (bad call or good call)

button and SB calls

TURN: 9s

everyone checks to the button he bets
SB raises (button looks up and is alarmed by this)
BB calls
ME: What do you do now? CALL, RAISE, FOLD

Comments

• With $56 (I think) in the pot so far, calling $4 with bottom pair on the flop is pretty easy, IMHO.

With $108 (I think) in the pot by the time for your decision on the turn, your draw to the nut flush makes this an easy $8 call, as well. If it turns out to be $8 more still after you call the first $8, no biggie, if you still have all 3 opponents in.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Cheers,
    all_aces

PS: On the turn, I wouldn't raise your draw. You want to keep all of your opponents in the hand if possible.
  • How about raising the flop?

ScottyZ
  • i may have written it wrong ... it's a cold call of $16 on the turn
  • I'm sorry yes, it's an easy $16 call on the turn, IMO.

As for raising the flop... I don't know, Scotty. That would depend on your read of the BB, I think. Let's face it, a raise from the BB when he has the option to check usually (but not always) means business. If he's a typical player, I'd put him on a big pocket pair (hopefully not aces, for your sake) and just call, hoping to outdraw him with your bottom pair and backdoor flush draw.

I'm assuming a ten-player, typical game. In a shorthanded game, I would be more inclined to raise this flop.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • 16 bucks to call a relativly big pots would be right
    i would call for sure cuz of the nut flush draw :)
    but then again i suck at poker
  • i think thats an auto call on the turn but i don't like that call on the flop i don't know been a while since i played 10 man or 4/8.
  • I like calling here in both spots. You certainly have the correct odds to (at least) call on both streets.

The fact that you noticed that the button looked up and was concerned when he got check-raised indicates that he might be unlikely to re-raise, which is one possibility you have to consider beyond just the odds when it comes back 2 cold to you on the turn.

I brought up the possibility of raising the flop since this example reminded me a little bit of the "Playing Aggressively with Marginal Hands" section of SSH (pg. 148). Looking at it more carefully however, and as all_aces points out, the chances of you having the best hand are quite a bit slimmer in this case than in the SSH example. So I like calling on the flop too.

ScottyZ