Big stack Vs Big stack.

Im about 3.5 hours into a 3500 player 5.50 rebuy tourney. The blinds are 1000/ 2000, 200 ante. I have 40k chips and one other dude at the table has 42k, the rest are below 28k. The dude is raising almost every 3rd hand preflop, ive successfully have stolen one of his rasises by comming over the top of him. So he does his routine 3x BB raise again.... I find A10 in the BB and i figure i can steal again so i repush all in! He calls with K 9 off! He spikes a king and i loose. Should i have avoided playing agaisnt the only player at the table who could have knocked me out? I just cant see my play here being wrong... is it?

Comments

• I wouldn't necessarily call you a big stack as you only have 20BB (or a M of 8). But yes, to me that is a re-stealable position.
  • your play is perfectly fine.

However, it would seem this guy loves what ever hand he has and think he has value calling all-in with k9

your hand really doesn't have a big equity edge vs someone who is opening as wide as 30%, your average a 3:2 favorite

is he open folding alot? is he a clown? then yes do it

however after taking a stand once he maybe apt to give a fustration call and given your cEV this may not be the time to take that stand
  • shove all day there

not even a resteal, more of a value shove even if we don't know his hand imo
  • Play to win. Call all day.
  • Redington wrote: »
    your play is perfectly fine.

However, it would seem this guy loves what ever hand he has and think he has value calling all-in with k9

your hand really doesn't have a big equity edge vs someone who is opening as wide as 30%, your average a 3:2 favorite

is he open folding alot? is he a clown? then yes do it

however after taking a stand once he maybe apt to give a fustration call and given your cEV this may not be the time to take that stand

I have to agree with Redington. It's not worth risking your tournament life, even with the wide range he has. After all, he could have actually woke up with a hand.

Another option might have been to reraise in that spot 3x his bet instead. He might have viewed that as a sign of strength, as apposed to thinking you were trying to resteal. If he was smart enough (which he probably wasn't), he also would have realized that you were pot commited if he came in over the top.