Easter Seals Texas Hold'em Mactaquac

aster Seals New Brunswick will be hosting a Texas Hold'em Tournament on February 21st at 1pm at Mactaquac Provincial Park.

$50 buy-in,
no re-buys
maximum 100 people

35% of money goes to prizes.

Proceeds to Easter Seals New Brunswick, providing services for people with physical disabilities throughout the province.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at communications@easterseals.nb.ca or call Easter Seals New Brunswick at (506) 458-8739.

Comments

• Good cause, but out of curiousity, why didn't you get corporate sponsors to cover prizes so that everything goes to the charity?
  • I'm the tournament director for this event.

The rules that the provincial government has provided regarding charity tournaments are pretty stringent.

Unfortunately, we aren't able to have sponsors add to the prize pool. And 35% of the buyin is the maximum we can pay out.

"Maximum of 35% of Gross Proceeds used
    for prizes. Please see the Section
    “Tournament Parameters” for further
    guidelines on prizes."
    (p.3)

Anything that would increase the amount in the prize pool would be considered a "discounted or complimentary" entry fee.

"No discounted or complementary entry fees (or
    rebuys) can be offered for any tournament."(
    p.4)

We've inquired with the government specifically about this payout percentage, and we cannot increase it.

Personally, I feel that 35% of the buyin is too low for a reasonable prize pool, even for a charity event. At least 65% would be good, but 50% would be acceptable.

-Source
    Terms and Conditions for
    Charitable Texas Hold ’em
    Poker Tournaments

http://www.gnb.ca/0276/publications/TexasHoldem-e.pdf
    Accessed Jan 31, 2009
  • Good Luck with your tourney also check for a Private Message from me