river check call on pair board with straight?

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 1499
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

UTG: $51.35
CO: $58.80 villian 17/10/2 aq21
BTN: $61.65
SB: $11.55
Hero (BB): $145.80

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with 8spade.gif 8heart.gif
1 fold, CO raises to $1.75, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.25

Flop: ($3.75) 4spade.gif 7heart.gif 5diamond.gif(2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $2.75, Hero raises to $6.50, CO calls $3.75 try to blow off two over cards with check raise, i guess my raise size should be bigger?

Turn: ($16.75) 6club.gif(2 players)
Hero bets $11, CO calls $11 ok. now put him on a pair

River: ($38.75) 7club.gif(2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $39.55 all in, Hero calls $39.55

me thinking, why would he push here if his has set turn boat.
my action CR, bet turn, check is obovous like making a move and give up.
if i have a boat, i would try to bet small for value here.
so i check call the river push.
is my thought process on the river correct?

Comments

• Hey Chuckie.

Interesting hand. Any reads on this guy?

I only like the check raise if our villain is the type of player who will c-bet here always. You get him to put another bet in the middle before you take it away but if you are going to do it your bet needs to have more teeth IMO. There is 9.25 in the middle by the time you call his bet so I like it better if you make it about $10 to go on the flop with a plan to fold if he 3 bets you.

Against most I see nothing wrong with peeling a card and calling another turn bet on most cards (could easily check/fold to an Ace). If he triple barrels you on a river when you haven't improved it is a pretty easy fold. If he is capable of firing 3 bullets with air then you will have a decision to make but most often it should be fold.

You have a ton of equity on this flop vs overcards and are way behind to an over pair so I would be looking to exercise pot control most of the time.

As played I think check/call is your best line on the river. You are behind a good bit here but you are getting 2-1 so you are still profitable if you are right only 31% of the time. Bet folding would be terrible and shoving may get rid of some of the over pairs that might value bet this river (JJ+) and pay you off.
  • That was really well played. You induced the overpair to shove on you. On the flop he puts you on two pair (most likely 45) or some sort of straight draw. The CR here is very deceptive as it looks like you have a monster (when in fact you have a small over pair :))

Unless he is a soul reader he can't put you on 88 and most likely gives you credit for A6 suited or some sort of draw on the flop. The fact that you bet the turn out creates even more of a mess here because now he knows for sure you don't have the straight but indeed an overpair as well. The flat call here isolates his hand to 10s+, any other hand (set/two pair) gets it in on the turn as by now they should have identified your hand as well (or at least a range).

If you lead on the river you only get called. Villian is now scared you have a 7. However because you checked and induced the shove you get maximum value.
  • FWIW I am never including A6 or 45 in Chuckies range here.
  • Yes I like the check/call here as well.