AQ situation at Final Table

I don't have the hand history so just bare with me...

Final table of a 90 man S'n'g.
Blinds 800/1600 100 ante
Hero <23,000> Dealt AsQh in the Big Blind
Seat 1 <18,000> Raises all in for 18,000
Seat 2 <15,000> folds
Seat 4 <8,500> folds
Seat 5 <20,000> folds
Seat 7 <9,500> folds
Seat 8 <16,000> folds

Now the Seat 1 all-in raiser has been super tight however the huge overbet screams big ace or medium pair to me.... What do you think?

stp

Comments

• AQ is one of those hands that just suck in that position. I have found myself in the same position to call and get shown AK.

23K is very good here. Fold.
  • Judging by your description folding looks good
  • Yeah, well you know what they say. Hindsight is 20/20. I knew it was a bad call as soon as I made it, just not as bad as it actually turned out to be.

Dude flipped over KK and I didn't hit. Ended up finishing 6th rather then the top 4 finish I was looking for.

The same guy limped in later on with AJs 6-handed, flopped top two and then went all-in on the flop (and then showed). I tagged him atleast so I am more aware next time I see him.

stp
  • Pick a better spot. You are the one calling, not raising with AQ so its a tougher hand to play OOP.

I think its Howard Lederer that says AQ is the hand that people go broke with the most in tournies because of the perceived value.

You also have a healthy stack. I usually let the smaller stacks attack each other to jockey for position at a final table and then just play straight position for the most part with solid opening hands.
  • Pick a better spot. You are the one calling, not raising with AQ so its a tougher hand to play OOP.

I think its Howard Lederer that says AQ is the hand that people go broke with the most in tournies because of the perceived value.

You also have a healthy stack. I usually let the smaller stacks attack each other to jockey for position at a final table and then just play straight position for the most part with solid opening hands.

Yes, I completely agree with you. It was one of those moments where I got greedy....

stp
  • yeah that is a tough spot! I think to call there you need better than AQ. But wow thats an odd play for the other dude to just shove all in with KK, normaly you see players trying for min raises to induce action.
  • Johnith wrote: »
    yeah that is a tough spot! I think to call there you need better than AQ. But wow thats an odd play for the other dude to just shove all in with KK, normaly you see players trying for min raises to induce action.

I have done this on several occasions for that very reason....looks like I have air....
  • stpboy wrote: »

Blinds 800/1600 100 ante
    Seat 2 <15,000> folds
    Seat 4 <8,500> folds
    Seat 5 <20,000> folds
    Seat 7 <9,500> folds
    Seat 8 <16,000> folds

Now the Seat 1 all-in raiser has been super tight however the huge overbet screams big ace or medium pair to me.... What do you think?

stp

2nd stack RAI utg and he is tight?

insta fold

at best your flipping, 88-JJ but I think more often your dominated AK-QQ
  • stpboy wrote: »

Blinds 800/1600 100 ante
    Seat 2 <15,000> folds
    Seat 4 <8,500> folds
    Seat 5 <20,000> folds
    Seat 7 <9,500> folds
    Seat 8 <16,000> folds

stp

Grunch...

I think almost no matter what he ends up having it's an odd way to play it...

The only hands I can see ever making a play like this with would be a hand like 55-JJ, a hand that has some showdown equity against a single random hand so he could be ok with a call but also if he just picks up the blinds/antes it's a nice little addition to his stack.

He's not hurting (3rd in chips) and unless he's feeling really overmatched in terms of skill at this table and just doesn't want to play poker on or after the flop I just can't figure out this play...

I would fold in this spot and take advantage of the smaller stacks who are going to have to make moves with potentially much weaker hands than whatever this guy had.