Pocket Jacks....

Should I have folded sooner or gone broke?

PokerStars Game #23609350812: Tournament #131983524, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em Limit - Level IV (100/200) - 2009/01/05 18:12:02 ET
Table '131983524 1' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: angellito 69 (1130 in chips)
Seat 2: SLntFlsh (1130 in chips)
Seat 3: pulsefish (2290 in chips)
Seat 4: Mallard119 (630 in chips)
Seat 5: karin_x (1255 in chips)
Seat 6: violet pilot (1095 in chips)
Seat 7: Homerbuddy (2230 in chips)
Seat 8: OTIS1980 (1890 in chips)
Seat 9: Humane39 (1850 in chips)
Humane39: posts small blind 50
angellito 69: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Homerbuddy [Jc Jh]
SLntFlsh: raises 100 to 200
pulsefish: folds
Mallard119: raises 100 to 300
karin_x: folds
violet pilot: folds
Homerbuddy: calls 300
OTIS1980: raises 100 to 400
Betting is capped
Humane39: folds
angellito 69: folds
SLntFlsh: calls 200
Mallard119: calls 100
Homerbuddy: calls 100
*** FLOP *** [Tc 2h 4s]
SLntFlsh: checks
Mallard119: checks
Homerbuddy: checks<--- "Monsters under the bed"
OTIS1980: checks
*** TURN *** [Tc 2h 4s] [5c]
SLntFlsh: bets 200
Mallard119: raises 30 to 230 and is all-in
Homerbuddy: ??

Comments

• Your supposed to fold preflop when it comes to you three bet. You can probably assume you need a no overcard flop, and even then you cant be sure where your at.

If your going to play a hand thats worth 3 bets cold, you need to have a hand that is worth raising to 4 bets. Slowplaying AA or KK by just calling is sometimes okay because it switches up your play and you may gain a couple extra bets because of the deception.

The biggest mistake you made was just calling preflop. Its either fold, or raise... fold being the better of the two.

BUT, by the way this hand turned out, you should be estatic to see the way the turn played out. Early player bets, then an all in... your move, is raise. Protects you against the man in the back, the bettor will probably check to you on the river and you check behind him unless you spike a jack.
  • In an aggressive cash game with lots of light 3 betting against a middle/late position opener and 3 bettor, I'd four bet JJ. Against an early position opener an early position 3 better in a low stakes passive game with lots of players yet to act I'd fold baring some read that I had on the 3 bettor.

However:

The 3 better has only 3 big blinds after he gets hit with the blinds in 2 hands he'll be sitting with 1.5 big blinds. He's very short stacked so I'd put him on a move, but if I played I'd raise him and call if he caps.

After you called someone went ahead and 4 bet after seeing the preflop 3 bet and you cold calling. He might have 4 bet thinking that the short stack 3 bet really light but he might also have a legitimate 4 bet hand.

You get the best flop you can hope for without a Jack. People might be trying to check raise the 4 bettor but I'd put in a bet on the flop.

On the Turn I'd bet/raise. The 4 better didn't bet the dry flop. Raising makes it a mistake for someone with a gut shot draw with an Ace a mistake to call.
  • yep..I would have bet the turn regardless of the monsters..which really aren't monsters...A3 sooooted is a haunt in a 5 buck game..
  • Never cold call 3 with anything in a limit tournament. JJ is more than enough to cap. I think your flop check is actually ok since you didn't cap pf.
    As played I'm raising the turn, looks very much like OTIS has AK. You can probably safely fold to a 3 bet from either OTIS or SlnTfish because they almost certainly have TT or QQ+.
  • Limit Hold'em Tournamnets tend to get pretty nitty, but in an aggro game with lots of aggressive three betting I'd probably cap.
  • I'm no expert but I'll share my opinion. I would have raised to $400 with JJ as it has a very high value as a hand. After the flop you should have raised. The pot was already very large so why risk someone getting QQ KK or AA on the Turn? I'd rather win a smaller pot early than lose a larger pot later.
  • BUT, by the way this hand turned out, you should be estatic to see the way the turn played out. Early player bets, then an all in... your move, is raise. Protects you against the man in the back, the bettor will probably check to you on the river and you check behind him unless you spike a jack.

What if someone had a Straight on the Turn? Or 2 pair perhaps? JJ isn't worth the risk of riding out all 5 cards. Get the win early is my opinion.