Ufc 92

Rampage destroys Axe in the first round!
Mir uses his outstanding boxing skills to knock Nogueira in the 2nd round!
Rashad is now 18-0 and crowned the UFC light heavyweight champion!

what a night, can't wait till BJ Penn stops GSP next month, you heard it first here from me!

Comments

• Yup, we heard it here first. Isn't the first time you've been wrong. I am confident it won't be the last, either. GSP by 3rd round submission. I'm gueesing an armbar, but more likely a RNC.
  • Won a $50 bet on the dalloway fight wooot!

I thought Mir Nogueria fight was awesome. Griffin and Evans was pretty good too.
  • i won 80$ last night, i got all the televised fights right... what a great ufc...
  • Milo wrote: »
    Isn't the first time you've been wrong. I am confident it won't be the last, either.

Ha. you've been wrong too, such as your prediction with the Minotaur/Mir fight, you seem to be sensitive everytime I say BJP will win. I'd rather you post something more on the fight than if I was wrong in the past or not.

I'm rooting for BJP but it can go either way, GSP happens to be also one of my favorite MMA fighters.
  • IM-ON-TILT wrote: »
    Ha. you've been wrong too, such as your prediction with the Minotaur/Mir fight, you seem to be sensitive everytime I say BJP will win. I'd rather you post something more on the fight than if I was wrong in the past or not.

I'm rooting for BJP but it can go either way, GSP happens to be also one of my favorite MMA fighters.
    Okay, fair enough. Here's why I think BJ loses:

Round 1: Sparring for the first couple minutes as they feel each other out, and try to time each others striking. about half way through, I expect GSP to shoot. If he tries a wrestling takedown it should work, but I think he will respect BJ enough to not want to leave his neck exposed. Both are Black belts in BJJ, but I give BJ the edge by a little (experience). So BJ stuffs the takedown and lands a few strikes as they disengage. GSP spends the remainder of the round sparring and taking advantage of his size with leg strikes. Round 1 probably goes to BJP.

Round 2: GSP goes for a WRESTLING takedown early, and is successful. After taking a minute or two to pass BJ's guard I expect GSP to start landing those vicious knees he used so effectively on Serra to score points, and wear on BJ's core. This will be a more technical round for both fighters and, while BJ will not suffer a lot of damage, the round will go to GSP.

Round 3: More leg strikes, which will lead to BJ trying to take down GSP. If successful, I see GSP gaining his feet fairly easily. More sparring leads either to a GSP takedown attempt, or a BJ shoot. Either way I see GSP taking the superior position as a result, and slowly moving to a finish.

If there is a round four, I see more of the same from round 3.

I see GSP being able to take advantage of his size advantage to damage BJ from outside. I think the only way GSP hurts himself is if he does what he has done in his last two defenses. Namely, if he tries to outdo his opponent in that fighter's specialty (BJJ). BJ Penn is NOT Koscheck. GSP may be a BJJ black belt, but he does not have the experience at that level that BJ does. Having said that, I do think that GSP is the more rounded fighter, although BJ may have a slight technical advantage in hand strikes. That advantage would be greatly diminished by GSP's reach advantage. By moving up in weight, I think BJ will be slower, and that his cardio will suffer. If he does not win by the end of round two, I think he will have missed his opportunity, and that GSP will simply wear him out in the remaining time. It will probably go the distance, but my earlier prediction is more fun. Truthfully, if GSP is going to stop BJ, it will be in round 4 or 5.

Feel better now?
    Okay, fair enough. Here's why I think BJ loses:

Round 1: Sparring for the first couple minutes as they feel each other out, and try to time each others striking. about half way through, I expect GSP to shoot. If he tries a wrestling takedown it should work, but I think he will respect BJ enough to not want to leave his neck exposed. Both are Black belts in BJJ, but I give BJ the edge by a little (experience). So BJ stuffs the takedown and lands a few strikes as they disengage. GSP spends the remainder of the round sparring and taking advantage of his size with leg strikes. Round 1 probably goes to BJP.

Round 2: GSP goes for a WRESTLING takedown early, and is successful. After taking a minute or two to pass BJ's guard I expect GSP to start landing those vicious knees he used so effectively on Serra to score points, and wear on BJ's core. This will be a more technical round for both fighters and, while BJ will not suffer a lot of damage, the round will go to GSP.

Round 3: More leg strikes, which will lead to BJ trying to take down GSP. If successful, I see GSP gaining his feet fairly easily. More sparring leads either to a GSP takedown attempt, or a BJ shoot. Either way I see GSP taking the superior position as a result, and slowly moving to a finish.

If there is a round four, I see more of the same from round 3.

I see GSP being able to take advantage of his size advantage to damage BJ from outside. I think the only way GSP hurts himself is if he does what he has done in his last two defenses. Namely, if he tries to outdo his opponent in that fighter's specialty (BJJ). BJ Penn is NOT Koscheck. GSP may be a BJJ black belt, but he does not have the experience at that level that BJ does. Having said that, I do think that GSP is the more rounded fighter, although BJ may have a slight technical advantage in hand strikes. That advantage would be greatly diminished by GSP's reach advantage. By moving up in weight, I think BJ will be slower, and that his cardio will suffer. If he does not win by the end of round two, I think he will have missed his opportunity, and that GSP will simply wear him out in the remaining time. It will probably go the distance, but my earlier prediction is more fun. Truthfully, if GSP is going to stop BJ, it will be in round 4 or 5.

Feel better now?

Hey, what do you know? Except for giving BJ round one, I did not do too bad. I will admit that I did not expect BJ to be such puss as to just sit on his stool after four rounds, though . . . :D
  • BJ got the beating he deserved.
  • I like how Dana White markets the hell out of playing down GSP as the best fighter he's got.
    Hey, what do you know? Except for giving BJ round one, I did not do too bad. I will admit that I did not expect BJ to be such puss as to just sit on his stool after four rounds, though . . . :D

you did very well with your prediction Milo, well done!

BJP got schooled and ate his words! Although I think fans will get carried away with this win, he beat a 155r. BJP needs to stay at 155 and carry out his legacy there and dominate the LW division. There’s no need to go WW. LW is stacked with fighters, an opportunity for him to shine at his best!

GSP performed his game plan to perfection.
    Early rounds of pushing, clinching, shoving to tire out Penn and avoid his striking and BJJ.
    3rd round, BJP couldn’t get anything going and is tiring out.
    By the 4th, he was finish, I was a little surprise that Herb didn’t stop the fight there at the end and GSP showed a little frustration he couldn’t finish it by punching the fence.

In the beginning, it was evident in Penn’s face while he waited in the ring for GSP, I knew it was over, he looked nervous, maybe even scared, it was clear he wasn’t prepared mentally and physically…he also had bags under his eyes (lack of sleep).

All in all, with the smack talk on prime TV., BJP deserved the beating!
    On a positive note, I think it might open his eyes and focus on the LW division like how GSP’s loss to Serra made GSP a better fighter.
    It changed GSP into a sick warrior, he is more focus, more stronger, everything just improved and scary thing he’s getting better and better! His evolution as a fighter has done nothing but skyrocketed!

I still think BJP is one of the greatest but at the light weight division...he shouldn’t fight bigger guys as proven on Sat.

As for the next contender, Thiago Alves, if he can‘t stop GSP, there’s really nobody left in WW that can stand a chance ….therefore its only right for him to move up and fight Silva. He’s got the frame and bones to match a good fight with Silva unlike Penn who clearly belongs in LW.
    For GSP, this is more realsitic to make UFC history to hold two weight division titles at the same time and possibly be the true best P4P fighter of all time!
    .........BUT Anderson Silva is Anderson Silva...........

P.S. what bothers me right now is that while GSP made $400,000 plus a $200,000 winning bonus against BJP, Arlovski made 1.5 million for his loss against Fedor? WTF? is Tito right about Dana and the UFC?
  • No, Tito is incorrect. while a case CAN be made to pay UFC fighters a little more than they currently earn, the numbers for Affliction are out of whack, hence the finanacial strain they are experiencing. The $$$ for the last affliction card were something north of 40% of the gate going to the fighters. They have to do that to get the fighters they do, but will not last the year if they keep it up.
    What I like about the UFC, along with golf (and poker), is that you EARN your keep. If you are one of the top guys (BJ got $125k), you get top dollar. If you're a mid-level guy, you get mid-level $$$. But just winning doubles your purse. Look at Guida. He got around $20k to fight, another $20k for the win, and the Fight of the Night Bonus. That one fight basically put his '09 income into six figures. You have to figure he's going to fight at least twice more this year so, even though he is not yet a contender for the LW title, he is making a good $$$, imo.
  • So Milo,

If you were on the undercard of a UFC fight and you directly contributed 20 minutes of entertainment onto a show that drew about 40-50million dollars of revenue, you would be happy with 100k? Mind you, this isn't a tickle fight, you are getting punched in the face.. You also only have so many fights in your body in a career.. Sounds to me like 100k is really getting the shaft end of the shaft.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    So Milo,

If you were on the undercard of a UFC fight and you directly contributed 20 minutes of entertainment onto a show that drew about 40-50million dollars of revenue, you would be happy with 100k? Mind you, this isn't a tickle fight, you are getting punched in the face.. You also only have so many fights in your body in a career.. Sounds to me like 100k is really getting the shaft end of the shaft.

+1

The UFC is bringing in close to the same amount through gate and PPV (arguably more) than the WBC did in it's prime (see: Tyson/Holyfield).

These fighters made high 7 digits / low 8 digits.

So where is the rest of the coin going?
  • Tyson & Holyfield may have made 7 figures, the undercard fighters did not. No one is forcing these guys to take the Fertitta's $$$. The UFC is #1 in part because they have, from the very beginning been able to control their expenses.

I would like to see the fighters earn a higher salary, as they are the one's that drive the industry. However, there are a relative few "name" fighter's that will sell a PPV. The example I would use is to contrast this past weekend's card with UFC 95 or 96. Neither of these events feature a title fight and, though Rampage is a big name, I will be surprised if the numbers are close to Saturday night. Why? Less interest in the fighters involved. Less interest = less cash for the fighters. It is strictly a meritocracy. If you are the best fighter (i.e. the Champ), or the best draw (Liddell), you get the $$$, otherwise you work your way up. Don't like the structure? Don't sign with the UFC.

And BBC? My answer would be yes. If I had the skills to be earning that kind of coin in the UFC, I would do it. 100k per fight, double that if I win, plus a potential 65k bonus for a great fight/KO/sub, multiplied by 3 - 4 fights per year, gets close to a 7 digit income. Combine that with marketing potential (endorsements), and I do not think that the big names will be in need of a tag-day anytime soon. As for the lesser lights getting cast aside, well, where's Bruce Pickens, or Jonathan Bender, or Patrik Stefan? All three were high draft picks in their respective sports. All three were busts. All three were cast aside. Thats the way it is, in the bigs . . .
  • I could have sworn it posted . . .