Pokerstars announcement!!!!!!!!!!!

POKERSTARS HAS NOW UPDATED THEIR SOFTWARE AND NO 3RD PARTY SOFTWARE WILL WORK ON STARS FROM NOW ON, THIS INCLUDES POKER TRACKER FOLKS!!!! AS ALOT OF YOU ON HERE USE IT, BELOW IS A ARTICLE AND A RESPONSE FROM STARS

http://www.pokercalculatorreport.com...-industry.html

yup i told ya's, this is another beginning step towards the end of stars, there is a ton of people already on other forums that are now not going to play on stars.

I agree with trying to get rid of the bad apples, but if it is legal software which is on your approved list why shut them out. they do this but yet won't fix or update their non random dealing system.

Comments

• linky broken.
  • I've been almost exclusively on Stars over the last year. I'll probably be almost exclusively elsewhere with this announcement. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    philliivey wrote: »
    ...yet won't fix or update their non random dealing system.
    :rolleyes: okay.
  • grrrrrrrrrrr links never work for me on here,

it's at PokerCalculatorReport.com | Poker Odds Calculators and Software Reviews

moose wrote: »
    linky broken.
  • well, have you ever seen so many paired flops and flush draw flops in your life,:)

I've been almost exclusively on Stars over the last year. I'll probably be almost exclusively elsewhere with this announcement. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

:rolleyes: okay.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    THIS INCLUDES POKER TRACKER FOLKS!!!!
    are you sure about that? and thanks for hurting my eyes
  • yes and no probs, just incase you are coming off of a online session,lol or by your post just getting up:)
  • Yes - it is definitely official. Poker Tracker is out. They now name it and PokerAce HUD on the banned list on their website.

PokerStars - Third Party Tools & Services - PokerStars Poker Room

Not sure what the process of enforcement will be (it might be on the page I've linked to - I didn't read it all). Presumably similar to the SharkScope ban (warning first)?
    philliivey wrote: »
    well, have you ever seen so many paired flops and flush draw flops in your life,:)

Well, I find the whole "JokerStars"/"pre-determined hands" thing to be a silly argument. Yes - the possibility of a rogue programmer doing it in specific, targeted tourneys could always exist and must be watched out for. However, a site that can and does make huge $$$$$$ running a fair (random) game would never risk a wholesale injection of fixed hands into the mix. Any significant, long-term variance in flops on such a huge site would have been detected by average players by now (in the same way the Absolute Poker scam was) and the site would lose a ton of players for no real (necessary) purpose.

I think these are the facts and they just need to be accepted (from PokerStars Software Security - Secure Online Poker) :

Shuffle Highlights:
    • A deck of 52 cards can be shuffled in 52! ways. 52! is about 2^225 (to be precise, 80,658,175,170,943,878,571,660,636,856,404,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000 ways). We use 249 random bits from both entropy sources (user input and thermal noise) to achieve an even and unpredictable statistical distribution.
    • Furthermore, we apply conservative rules to enforce the required degree of randomness; for instance, if user input does not generate required amount of entropy, we do not start the next hand until we obtain the required amount of entropy from Intel RNG.
    • We use the SHA-1 cryptographic hash algorithm to mix the entropy gathered from both sources to provide an extra level of security
    • We also maintain a SHA-1-based pseudo-random generator to provide even more security and protection from user data attacks
    • To convert random bit stream to random numbers within a required range without bias, we use a simple and reliable algorithm. For example, if we need a random number in the range 0-25:
      • we take 5 random bits and convert them to a random number 0-31
      • if this number is greater than 25 we just discard all 5 bits and repeat the process
    • This method is not affected by biases related to modulus operation for generation of random numbers that are not 2n, n = 1,2,..
    • To perform an actual shuffle, we use another simple and reliable algorithm:
      • first we draw a random card from the original deck (1 of 52) and place it in a new deck - now original deck contains 51 cards and the new deck contains 1 card
      • then we draw another random card from the original deck (1 of 51) and place it on top of the new deck - now original deck contains 50 cards and the new deck contains 2 cards
      • we repeat the process until all cards have moved from the original deck to the new deck
    • This algorithm does not suffer from "Bad Distribution Of Shuffles" described in [2]
    PokerStars shuffle verified by Cigital and BMM International

PokerStars submitted extensive information about the PokerStars random number generator (RNG) to two independent organizations. We asked these two trusted resources to perform an in-depth analysis of the randomness of the output of the RNG, and its implementation in the shuffling of the cards on PokerStars.
    Both independent companies were given full access to the source code and confirmed the randomness and security of our shuffle. Visit Online Poker Random Number Generator for more details.

... but we digress.
  • ummmmmm they have not updated the list yet, that is from November and those 2 are still in acceptable.

but ya parts of your explanation for rng does show the answer, bottom line is their is too much traffic for it too handle.

I am not argueing the security of it as i know stars will not put their 10 mill a day on the line.:)
  • Phil, as much as you want your overly emotional prediction that Stars will be collapsing to come true, the reality is that it will not, even if they make changes to which 3rd party programs are allowed. Tracker and Poker Ace HUD is still permitted as are a ton of others on their site, just as it has been for quite a while. Both worked fine for me today as well.

Keep in mind that if Stars ever does ban these programs it would be the top thread on twoplustwo with a ton of posts. Somehow, not the case yet. If they do ban them all, then that's fine as well as I see it.

Not even going to go into rigged shuffle beliefs, that's comfort for bad players deep in rationalization, and if allows them to keep playing all the better.

Take a deep breath next time Phil :)
  • Yes - it is definitely official. Poker Tracker is out. They now name it and PokerAce HUD on the banned list on their website.

PokerStars - Third Party Tools & Services - PokerStars Poker Room
    ok, so in other words, you didn't read the list and PT is ok to use.
  • no i am fine(for the most part, i am panicking about other things,like no money coming in for the last month), just warning anyone on here what might happen, but as usual i get kicked in the face for trying to do something good, after 7 years of that i should have known better.
  • :-[ :wink: I need to stop trying to speed read & post while at work. Glad to know PT still works (for now).
  • personally I'm in favour of eliminating all this extra poker tracking based software; this is one reason I don't play online much; what's the point of sitting at a table where every other player knows every hand I you have ever played. why shouldn't online poker emulate live poker?
    no i am fine(for the most part, i am panicking about other things,like no money coming in for the last month), just warning anyone on here what might happen, but as usual i get kicked in the face for trying to do something good, after 7 years of that i should have known better.

Your motives are not being questioned, but in general when a person who is prone to panic does panic and has had many public panic attacks in the past for various reasons, the odds are it will not generate much panic in others.

Basically the boy who cried wolf/sky is falling scenario. Your facts were wrong in this instance and it took about 30 seconds to determine this. How should we react? Frankly the responses have been fairly polite thus far.
  • ummm what are you talking about? the comments are right from pokerstars.I am passing on a article, i have stated no facts regarding this as if people want to be a bunch of asses and may lose their money then fine don't keep a eye on this news, as long as something is set out in stone so we know what's going on i am with pokerjah, i don't care if they do or they don't, i am just passing the info on for anyone uses the stuff they are looking at, geeeesh

Monteroy wrote: »
    Your motives are not being questioned, but in general when a person who is prone to panic does panic and has had many public panic attacks in the past for various reasons, the odds are it will not generate much panic in others.

Basically the boy who cried wolf/sky is falling scenario. Your facts were wrong in this instance and it took about 30 seconds to determine this. How should we react? Frankly the responses have been fairly polite thus far.
  • no worries lanterne:), looks like a few others are speed reading too

:-[ :wink: I need to stop trying to speed read & post while at work. Glad to know PT still works (for now).
    ummm what are you talking about? the comments are right from pokerstars.I am passing on a article, i have stated no facts regarding this as if people want to be a bunch of asses and may lose their money then fine don't keep a eye on this news, as long as something is set out in stone so we know what's going on i am with pokerjah, i don't care if they do or they don't, i am just passing the info on for anyone uses the stuff they are looking at, geeeesh

If Pokerstars does ban Tracker and Ace HuD they would give people warnings first since they would know not everyone would know right away.

Also, it would be a heavily talked about issue on poker boards everywhere.

Noone will be losing their money, and noone needs to panic just because that is your natural reaction to news.
  • i am not the one panicking, i was passing on the news, everyone else is panicking. I really don't care as i use neither.

this just happened 2 days go and stars is not done updates so it is not out there yet.

but on another note that just happened, wooooooooohooooooooooo some of the ones that are on the acceptable list that stopped working are now working at this time:), gotta love computer programmers.
  • I can't find anywhere it says they are illegal to use...only that the chat program has been updated that the dataminers won't be able to pull info from it...

I don't see where anyone is panicking...I don't see where anyone will lose money..

Personally...I will likely play Stars more now that the HUDs won't work...I don't have one..and nice to know my donkedness isn't showing up on everyones screens...lol
  • :)thank you thank you, amen

I can't find anywhere it says they are illegal to use...only that the chat program has been updated that the dataminers won't be able to pull info from it...

I don't see where anyone is panicking...I don't see where anyone will lose money..

Personally...I will likely play Stars more now that the HUDs won't work...I don't have one..and nice to know my donkedness isn't showing up on everyones screens...lol
  • the point, phil, is pokertracker is not banned. if you have info that says otherwise, please feel free to enlighten us
  • ummm your a day late,lol i will not cause i get runned all over for trying to do something nice.

pkrfce9 wrote: »
    the point, phil, is pokertracker is not banned. if you have info that says otherwise, please feel free to enlighten us
  • I found this thread very confusing, but I will agree with pokerJAH's opinion (instead of always disagreeing with his posts). I prefer live poker because you have to rely on your brain power, while online tools can make a bad player narrow the gap against a good player. If I decide to play online more than live, I will have no time to read any poker strategy book and will instead spend the time studying how to maximize the use of the numerous software aids.
    pokerJAH wrote: »
    personally I'm in favour of eliminating all this extra poker tracking based software; this is one reason I don't play online much; what's the point of sitting at a table where every other player knows every hand I you have ever played. why shouldn't online poker emulate live poker?
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    I prefer live poker because you have to rely on your brain power, while online tools can make a bad player narrow the gap against a good player.

Online makes table selection alot easier - online also allows you to play more tables as well as gives you more hands per hour.

That site seems pretty sketchy.

What's with..

"Poker Stars has now switched to an in-house proprietary solution that displays limited table action (you won't be able to "read" how much a player bets, you will have to gauge by the look of the chips)"

Imaging they took away the display bet amount. LOL. Fuck that site. They don't know shit.
  • Online and live are two very different games, one or both may be appropriate for each person, just as different games/types of games may be better for different people.

Never quite understood the need for either side to justify why their way of playing is better, other then a method to make oneself feel better. Play the game you will make the most money at if money is your goal. Play the game that you will enjoy the most if fun is your goal (hint not Badugi...)
  • Pokerstars die out? because of banning online tools? never! Ultimate bet and Absolute still running after the superuser scandal. Donkeys never die, just multiply!
    ummm your a day late,lol i will not cause i get runned all over for trying to do something nice.
    i guess i missed that day in school when we learned spreading incorrect rumours was 'nice'. my bad.
  • ya since their was no rumours spread, if you want the bottom line ask the forum member who owns the site and see if his blog is correct or not and if the "rumour" right from stars is that instead of looking like a jackass.

cause i don't know what part of stars is "looking" at pokertracker part you don't understand.

like stars has worked with some of the acceptable ones and has released patches for them, so that's all i care about so why are you dragging this on when others here have agreed and other forums have moved on.

pkrfce9 wrote: »
    i guess i missed that day in school when we learned spreading incorrect rumours was 'nice'. my bad.
  • ya what is badugi?

Monteroy wrote: »
    Online and live are two very different games, one or both may be appropriate for each person, just as different games/types of games may be better for different people.

Never quite understood the need for either side to justify why their way of playing is better, other then a method to make oneself feel better. Play the game you will make the most money at if money is your goal. Play the game that you will enjoy the most if fun is your goal (hint not Badugi...)