Tournament of Champions ... excellent show.

I won't talk about who won who got knocked out but I do want to talk about one particular hand.

It was between Duke and Hellmuth. Duke gets a K9, Hellmuth gets a K7. Flop shows KX9. Duke checks, Hellmuth raises, Duke check raises over top of Hellmuth (120k I think). Hellmuth starts to have a bit of a tizzy and eventually calls. Turn shows a J, no help to either. Duke says "all in". Hellmuth is beside himself and after a couple of minutes folds the hand.

The hand was ok but that's not exactly what I wanted to talk about. What I LOVED about the hand is what happened when it was over. Hellmuth, when mucking his cards, flips over the K to show he had top pair all the while muttering something or other. Duke responds by flipping over the 9 as she is pushing her cards to the dealer. This just mind screws Hellmuth. It was BEAUTIFUL. He started yammering about what she did and couldn't figure out why she was playing so recklessly.

Damn it was funny. I had to stop and replay that a few times. I tried to explain to my wife what was happening and why it was such a great play AFTER the hand was over.

I definately want to grab a copy of this show to watch again (I had it on my PVR and don't know how to get things off of it (in digital format)).

Cheers

Comments

• I agree ... that was a classic move ...

Somehow, I suspect Phil would still be muttering, as he did, even after he saw it on TV, and saw she had him beat. Typical Phil, but a very nice play by Annie, knowing how Phil would react.

The TOC telecast was very well done, imho.

macbb :canada:
  • It was a very nice treat as I thought TSN was showing repeats. That hand was worth rewinding.
  • literation wrote:
    It was a very nice treat as I thought TSN was showing repeats. That hand was worth rewinding.
    i thought it was gonna be repeats too but had to make sure it wasnt :D

otherwise :banghead:

:D

i didnt like the outcome of the tourney though:banghead:

grrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad: :banghead:

:tongue:
  • It was a nice play by Duke, as it clearly rattled Hellmuth. However, I think it should be said that it was a great read by Phil. He was right that she had two pair. It was a very nice laydown.
  • agreed. that was a nice play by annie. but you have to hand it to phil for laying down top pair. im not really a fan of phil, but he does get a nod for the proper laydown.
  • It was a nice read, but not a big laydown. I think anyone can make that laydown easily. It's ONLY top pair with a crappy kicker. Duke could of had K10 to still win. I didn't watch it, so I don't know how pre-flop went, which is very important to analyze hands. But from what I have read, folding K9 after getting re-raised is easy. Especially to an all-in bet on the turn.