Online Cheaters at 60 Minutes this Sunday

The long-awaited story on the AB/UB online scandal will finally be aired on 60 Minutes this Sunday at 7 PM ET.
Sunday, Nov. 30, 2008
THE CHEATERS - 60 MINUTES and The Washington Post reveal how online poker players suspecting cheating were forced to successfully ferret out the cheaters themselves. That's because managers of the mostly-unregulated $18 billion Internet gambling industry failed to respond to their complaints.

Don't click on the following if you prefer to wait until Sunday:
- 60 Minutes/Washington Post Joint Investigation Questions Honesty, Security Of Gambling Sites
- Cheating Gamblers Exposed video

Comments

• WTF? They cut my scene!
  • moose wrote: »
    WTF? They cut my scene!

Small fish, big pond. Sorry moose.
  • could be the 1st step for the end of online poker and pokerstars.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    could be the 1st step for the end of online poker and pokerstars.

lol
  • It is such a shame that the US has classified Poker as a game of luck and lumped it in with sports betting, rather than seeing it for the skill game it is, and making it legal to play for money, much like it is legal to play backgammon and bridge for money. The industry would be worth much more money if it was legal, and the customers could have the satisfaction of knowing that as a regulated industry your money would be a fair bit safer than it is now. On top of that the tax dollars taken in by the government would be enormous.

Then again, I guess we'd then need to beat both the rake and the tax to make a profit. :)
  • :)

no really, as soon as this airs all the wack jobs will come out trying to shut online poker down cause of no regulation and blah blah blah and with pokerstars being the biggest and best known they will be the 1st to be "under the gun",.

After next december even stars won't last, they will be the next g.m.
    GTA Poker wrote: »
    lol
  • This will neither help nor hurt on-line poker. The undecideds will not get enough from this report to make a rational decision one way or the other, imo. Considering it starts off telling people that playing poker on-line is illegal, when there is nothing in the statutes that makes it so (in the USA).
    could be the 1st step for the end of online poker and pokerstars.

Ya cause cheating doesn't happen at B&M cardrooms ;)
  • what channel is it on? and what time?
  • NoVeLTeK wrote: »
    what channel is it on? and what time?

CBS Sunday @ 7PM Eastern
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    CBS Sunday @ 7PM Eastern

Which it has been for what, like 40 years?:)
    :)

no really, as soon as this airs all the wack jobs will come out trying to shut online poker down cause of no regulation and blah blah blah and with pokerstars being the biggest and best known they will be the 1st to be "under the gun",.

After next december even stars won't last, they will be the next g.m.

Ask yourself what this show will do in terms of actually changing anyone's beliefs. Whack jobs who think the world is rigged against them already believe that. Moral crusaders are already crusading.

Maybe it will be mildly interesting for some people, but in terms of having any impact I do not see much, just as one after another "investigative reports" on various forms of telemarketing fraud or repair shops that defraud have a similar impact on their respective industries, namely none.

The default of most people who are unfamiliar with the industry is that it is filled with cheaters and scams, so how will a 60 minutes show that is unbalanced on the issue change anything? Guess I am not following the logic from a routine biased expose to the "OMGZORRS END OF WORLD"

I will be happy to book action at even money taking the side that "Stars will last" to the end of next year. Would be a bigger donation to me then the various Obama wagers were :P
  • stars will be around this time next year, it's after that you might see something happen.

Monteroy wrote: »
    Ask yourself what this show will do in terms of actually changing anyone's beliefs. Whack jobs who think the world is rigged against them already believe that. Moral crusaders are already crusading.

Maybe it will be mildly interesting for some people, but in terms of having any impact I do not see much, just as one after another "investigative reports" on various forms of telemarketing fraud or repair shops that defraud have a similar impact on their respective industries, namely none.

The default of most people who are unfamiliar with the industry is that it is filled with cheaters and scams, so how will a 60 minutes show that is unbalanced on the issue change anything? Guess I am not following the logic from a routine biased expose to the "OMGZORRS END OF WORLD"

I will be happy to book action at even money taking the side that "Stars will last" to the end of next year. Would be a bigger donation to me then the various Obama wagers were :P
    stars will be around this time next year, it's after that you might see something happen.

Ah I see - "you might see something happen"

I will keep that in mind. Thanks.
  • no problem you should, even thou i never said that, less traffic on stars is going to be a good thing anyway.

Monteroy wrote: »
    Ah I see - "you might see something happen"

I will keep that in mind. Thanks.
  • I predict traffic will generally be up or down on most days compared to previous days.

Same can be said if you look at week, month and year long periods.

Trends analysis can be done on these past trends to determine what the trends were in these time frames, and without doubt they will accurately show what has happened in great certainty.

I also predict that this can be done in the future for time periods that have yet to occur and we will definitely see some changes in these trends in one direction or the other.

Clearly, something is about to happen.
  • This piece was chock full of insightful comments like, "... just playing on-line poker is illegal... ", and quotes the Kahnawahke (sp?) Chief as saying that playing on-line in Canada is also illegal. Wow, such insight, such research, no wonder 60 Minutes is taken more seriously than The Daily Show. Wait . . .
  • I was laughing at the same lines. Yellow journalism like that is pathetic. The problem is that the people will buy into it without complete information and, heaven forbid, actual facts.
  • Washington Post put the gambling story on the front page of its newspaper, and there are a bunch of articles on its website, including a listing of the poker sites. CBC News also showed a report on the 60 Minutes story.
  • Milo wrote: »
    This piece was chock full of insightful comments like, "... just playing on-line poker is illegal... ", and quotes the Kahnawahke (sp?) Chief as saying that playing on-line in Canada is also illegal. Wow, such insight, such research, no wonder 60 Minutes is taken more seriously than The Daily Show. Wait . . .

...Garbage, half a$$ed, typical 60 Minutes shlock journalism... and then show Michael Phelps, who LOVES a good poker game... JUNK.
  • Again, the thing one needs to ask oneself is how much will any of these stories change anyone's opinions. Realistically, I think not much at all.

Those who want to believe that the online gambling world is nearly all cheats (while oddly believing live games are always honest for some reason) will continue to do so. Those who think that most online games are fairly dealt will continue to believe so.

The fact that it made a couple of papers for a day again means very little as this really is not a story that will have a ton of long term "legs" to it. It just happens to be a topic of interest to those who play so the coverage seems more significant.

Look at a paper a week from now and pick a similar type of story and ask yourself how much you will change anything based on that story. I think one of the big one last week was a big increase in bed bug infestation. Now what?

This hardly means that no story matters or changes behavior. When they did an expose on the US vet hospitals that were in horrible shape that struck a deep chord and a lot of changes were made right away. This poker story will fall quite short of doing that.
  • Monteroy wrote: »
    I predict traffic will generally be up or down on most days compared to previous days.

Same can be said if you look at week, month and year long periods.

Trends analysis can be done on these past trends to determine what the trends were in these time frames, and without doubt they will accurately show what has happened in great certainty.

I also predict that this can be done in the future for time periods that have yet to occur and we will definitely see some changes in these trends in one direction or the other.

Clearly, something is about to happen.

:h: Monteroy
  • jpajamas wrote: »
    ...Garbage, half a$$ed, typical 60 Minutes shlock journalism... and then show Michael Phelps, who LOVES a good poker game... JUNK.

Michael Phelps story after this one on 60 Min.

BREAKING NEWS FROM 60 MINUTES!

Michael Phelps has a poker table in his apartment! Although it is folded up in the closet we are sure it was used for illegal gamboling!
  • For those of you that didn't see this crack journalism...or journalism on crack.

Ultimate Bet Cheating Poker Video by CBS 60 Minutes