Vegas Planning Question

I am planning on a trip to Vegas in Feb, likely 4-7 nights. Trying to decide whether it is better to book a package (hotel/airfare) or hotel separately and use points for the flight (basically free). Packages seem like the best deal but there is very little flexibility if you want to stay more than four nights. What is the best rate for hotels on the main strip? My friends will be staying at MGM Grand so I would like to be near this hotel. Also, I might opt for my own room which makes the package option a lot more expensive vs booking the hotel separately. On Westjet, I am looking at a price of about $700 (inclusive) for four nights at the MGM. Booking the room separately isn't much cheaper than the inclusive price. I don't think I will opt for the pokerroom rate as I want some flexibility when and where I play.

Thoughts?

Comments

• When I went with my wife I used my Avion points to fly down. That way we could pick direct flights at the times we wanted and on a decent airline. Doing so we probably didn't save much more then a couple hundred bucks but it was still worth it. We booked direct with the MGM since they had a decent sale on.

If I was going down with the boys or on my own I would probably do a package since I would care less about connections or overnight flights.
  • If only I was allowed to go to Las Vegas in February, I would just sign up for the email lists of Vegas-related travel sites, wait for a U$39 flight special like compuease booked separately and wait for a U$35/night price like I booked directly with the hotel. Upon check-in, you can do the $20 trick to get upgraded to one of the many empty rooms. Vegas will continue to suffer (e.g., the Tropicana poker room is closing) and there may be a lot of competing incentives to get visitors. There is even talk of lowering the gambling age from 21!
    pokerJAH wrote: »
    Trying to decide whether it is better to book a package (hotel/airfare) or hotel separately and use points for the flight (basically free).
  • When I went with my wife I used my Avion points to fly down.

that's what I am thinking; hopefully MGM, etc. will have decent specials on during February.