Obese have right to 2 airline seats?

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Obese people have the right to two seats for the price of one on flights within Canada, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled on Thursday.
b?P=Z9asfM6.Io29OJYMRJNf6wQeY.xE60kq.CcAAmmy&T=13voqjj0v%2fX%3d1227552807%2fE%3d97340592%2fR%3dca_news%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3dHR%2fY%3dCA%2fF%3d4099700484%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d5222BECE&U=13fnm9c4n%2fN%3dtj5kHkSO5_U-%2fC%3d655378.12654553.12971182.6258759%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d5316446%2fV%3d1
The high court declined to hear an appeal by Canadian airlines of a decision by the Canadian Transportation Agency that people who are "functionally disabled by obesity" deserve to have two seats for one fare.
The airlines had lost an appeal at the Federal Court of Appeal in May and had sought to launch a fresh appeal at the Supreme Court. The court's decision not to hear a new appeal means the one-person-one-fare policy stands.
The appeal had been launched by Air Canada, Air Canada Jazz and WestJet.
(Reporting by Randall Palmer)

Thoughts?

Comments

• My favourite comment on yahoo came from a guy called 'Daveruggles'

"I'm overweight and this story makes me as sick to my stomach as the one a couple weeks back about the guy that didn't have to finish his jail sentence because of his size. This "gold star for last place/everyone's special" mentality we've evolved into is going to be the fall of mankind. I'm overweight for the same reason many of us are. We're somewhat lazy, and I'll be the first to admit, I do not deserve a reward for that!! I hope the airlines win their appeals. Frantz- good post dude."

Obesity is one of the few issues I don't go bleeding heart on, they SHOULD pay for two seats. No question.
  • I agree.....women with large breasts should have to pay more for their bras too! Enough of the small breasted women "supporting" the big busted! Justice!
  • 800OVER wrote: »
    I agree.....women with large breasts should have to pay more for their bras too! Enough of the small breasted women "supporting" the big busted! Justice!

I, for one, have ALWAYS been willing to offer a helping hand to those women in need of support, during those times when other means are unavailable, regardless of the circumstance. I just feel it is the Christian thing to do.
    As for my tubbie brother, let him pay for two seats, if thats how many he needs . . .
  • Rights cannot be just created out of thin air by the courts. Any "rights" made like this necessarily come at the expense of someone else's rights.
    In this case it is the property rights of the airline. Decisions such as this diminish the rights of everyone else.
  • Fat girls need lovin too
  • Seriously, though, the simple solution is to base the fares on total weight brought on board. In other words, when I get on the plane (weighing 250) carrying 15 lbs. of clothes in my backpack (total 265) for a trip to Vegas, I pay "X". When Paris Hilton gets on (weighing 90) with her 7 suitcases (total 530), she pays "2X". Problem solved, and it nails the luggage hogs, as well.
  • why should I have to pay more just cause my cawk weighs 16 lbs?
  • cadillac wrote: »
    why should I have to pay more just cause my cawk weighs 16 lbs?

Because it costs the airline 16 times as much to transport yours, as it does mine.
  • does that mean they get two meals as well? seems only fair.
  • When you buy a seat on a plane you are paying for that seat, and only that seat. If you can't jam your butt in, then buy another or fly first class where the seats are bigger.
  • Graham wrote: »
    When you buy a seat on a plane you are paying for that seat, and only that seat. If you can't jam your butt in, then buy another or fly first class where the seats are bigger.

Do you still feel this way?

JLo.jpg
  • Nice photochop. But the answer is still, yes.

I believe the legal argument revolved around whether you were purchasing a fare between A and B, or whether you were purchasing a seat between A and B. If you are purchasing a seat, then fatties have to pony up extra. If you are purchasing a fare, you get the extra space gratis.

To be clear, I believe that if you need two seats, you should pay for them. Air travel is NOT a "right".
  • I have a fear of crowded places. I am disabled. I demand an entire plane for myself.
  • Feel free to rent one anytime you wish at Brampton Flying Club. You will even be able to find a licensed pilot to take you up, as well. For a fee, of course.
  • 800OVER wrote: »
    I agree.....women with large breasts should have to pay more for their bras too! Enough of the small breasted women "supporting" the big busted! Justice!

You clearly have not done enough bra shopping in your lifetime. I am constantly annoyed by the fact that my flat-chested friends pay $8 for the slingshot they call a bra while I have to fork out $50+ for something to contain my DDs. I vote for tax credits for large breasted women!
  • I vote for tax credits for large breasted women!

Most of the time I wonder how you tolerate me Sandy, and then you say something like that and I remember that you are constructed of 100% pure awesome!
  • Big Mike wrote: »
    Rights cannot be just created out of thin air by the courts. Any "rights" made like this necessarily come at the expense of someone else's rights.
    In this case it is the property rights of the airline. Decisions such as this diminish the rights of everyone else.

This.

The airlines make less profit. Or in actuality they post larger losses. Then they go banko and the tax payers can bail them out a la Air Canada. Such a wonderful deal. I don't even have to ever fly to get sodomized in this deal.

Tickets cost more $$$$ for the flyers who are of reasonable weight. The fatties win and everyone else loses. It is not like they can't afford two seats any way, just cut out a portion of the cookies, cakes, pies and fries that they snorf down their obese gullets.

IMO if they can't fit their fat ass in the seat they can ride the train like the rest of the cattle.
  • i found obese men cute! :P
  • i found obese men cute! :P

You mean like...back when you were alive?
  • Curious, for obese people who need to take up two seats. How do they fit in those washrooms?

Shouldn't they sue for not being able to join the mile high club?
  • cadillac wrote: »
    This.

The airlines make less profit. Or in actuality they post larger losses. Then they go banko and the tax payers can bail them out a la Air Canada. Such a wonderful deal. I don't even have to ever fly to get sodomized in this deal.

Tickets cost more $$$$ for the flyers who are of reasonable weight. The fatties win and everyone else loses. It is not like they can't afford two seats any way, just cut out a portion of the cookies, cakes, pies and fries that they snorf down their obese gullets.

IMO if they can't fit their fat ass in the seat they can ride the train like the rest of the cattle.

I was flying to the islands, and all the trains sank!

Milton Slim
  • ddmilcan wrote: »
    I was flying to the islands, and all the trains sank!

Milton Slim

Decision only applies to domestic flights, Slim. I'll save you the time . . .
    D'oh ! ! !
  • Baffin Island.

/g2
  • I vote for tax credits for large breasted women!

Only if they are willing to have their "assets" freely available to the public.
  • DataMn wrote: »
    Only if they are willing to have their "assets" freely available to the public.

Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner.