25-50 limit hold'em question.

You're playing 25-50 limit hold'em. you have 50 big bets in front of you. You're in the BB with AsKh. Johnny Chan just sat in the game about 5 minutes ago and has been raising every hand with out going to a showdown yet. Never mind the table dynamics because for this question they don't mean shit. So now you're in the BB with AsKh and Johnny is UTG and surprise surprise - he raises. Everyone folds including the SB. What's your best course of action?

Comments

• I'm just gonna outplay the guy.
    I'm just gonna outplay this guy this hand.
    - I re-raised. - Re-raise.
    - You played right back at him, huh? - Oh, yeah.
    And he just comes right back over the top of me,
    trying to bully me like I'm some fucking tourist.
    I hesitate for two seconds. I re-raised.
    And he makes a move toward his checks, and he looks at me.
    And he looks at his cards, and he looks at me again.
    And he mucked it. I took it down.
    "Did you have it?" "I'm sorry, John. I don't remember."
    I got up, and I walked to the cashier.
  • Reraise and lead the flop. Alternate answers include calling and checkraising any flop, or calling and just check calling all streets. I don't think anything is too wrong here.
    Regardless, you WILL be showing this hand down. The only mistake you can make in this hand is folding at any point, imo. If you think you could be raised off the hand later, then just c/c all streets.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    I'm just gonna outplay the guy.
    I'm just gonna outplay this guy this hand.
    - I re-raised. - Re-raise.
    - You played right back at him, huh? - Oh, yeah.
    And he just comes right back over the top of me,
    trying to bully me like I'm some fucking tourist.
    I hesitate for two seconds. I re-raised.
    And he makes a move toward his checks, and he looks at me.
    And he looks at his cards, and he looks at me again.
    And he mucked it. I took it down.
    "Did you have it?" "I'm sorry, John. I don't remember."
    I got up, and I walked to the cashier.

LOL..fuck you're hot sometimes.
  • Only way I see myself folding preflop is if I have AA.
  • Humm this doesn't sound like the Chan described by Barry Greenstein's site...

In the late ‘80’s and early ‘90’s, Johnny was the best no-limit hold’em tournament player in the world. Since then, he has used his tournament success as a vehicle to get himself involved in different business ventures. He is still a skilled player, but he plays very impatiently as if he is late for a meeting. He used to be very weak at limit poker, but he improved his limit game significantly in the late ‘90’s and early 00’s. It is probably surprising that I listed pot-limit Omaha as his best game, but I am going by results and his best results over the last few years in side games (and even in the WSOP) have been in pot-limit Omaha.
    But his range here is ... Any two cards..

We must raise here with AKo.

We have a big skill disadvantage to him. We are out of position too. This is countered by our card advantage.

Bang it in preflop if he raises, re-raise.
  • my course of action would be to flat in the BB and the reason i would advocate NOT to 3bet it pre is that we are semi-playing our hand face up. when we just flat, our hand is more disguised and not only that, it def helps our table image for the rest of the session. next time you flat a raise in/out of position, they won't know if you have AK, 98c, 55, etc...

now, after we flat the raise, i'm going to take either route:

a - if flop is low, c/r. if he 3 bets it, smooth call again. c/c turn, c/c river.
    b - if flop is high, lead out. if he raises, i'm 3 betting this mother. lead turn, lead river. if at any point during the turn or river betting rounds i get raised, i'm flatting.

regardless of choice a or b, i'm getting this bad boy to showdown.

you're going to have to set a precedence because he has position on you for the entire session. you have to let him know that you're going to play back at him and he can't just run the table over.