Canadian Content

I was in Vancouver for a weekend about a year ago.

Beautiful, but I was taken aback by the amount of Chilliwack and Glass Tiger on the radio...then my friend mentioned something about a law?

What's that all about?

Comments

• All Canadian radio stations must have a certain percentage of Canadian music content aired. Now there are certainly better choices then Glass Tiger but who am I judge.
  • Some radio stations just play an inordinate amount of the Tragically Hip. Fine by me.
  • All Canadian radio stations must have a certain percentage of Canadian music content aired. Now there are certainly better choices then Glass Tiger but who am I judge.

Well, and the only reason Glass Tiger got any fame is cuz they had Bryan Adams say "Ooooh...my heart would break...." and "...it's all I can take..."
  • Some radio stations just play an inordinate amount of the Tragically Hip. Fine by me.

It's way worse when you have CanCon requirements on a non-rock music station. I'm pretty sure they still play "Steal My Sunshine" by Len on the dance channels..
  • It's also the only reason there are no real hip-hop stations here and the reason The Rascals got any airtime at all.
  • Yeah, I think it needs to be 30% CanCon. Leads to such wonderful decisions as Bryan Adams' Robin Hood theme song NOT qualifying for a Juno nomination, too. As with so many things government tries to legislate, the idea was noble (encourage/support a Canadian music industry) but the practice (Darby Mills, Toronto, Andrew WK) was, . . . er . . . not so much.
  • Rock 101 in Vancouver has a funny "twisted tune" about this. Since the minimum playtime for a Canadian content song is 45 seconds, they made a 45 second song called "CanCon".

"This song is can con, the canadian content song..." I forget the rest, but it's a funny way to get around playing April Wine, Kim Mitchell and Rush all the time.
  • Djexacto wrote: »
    Rock 101 in Vancouver has a funny "twisted tune" about this. Since the minimum playtime for a Canadian content song is 45 seconds, they made a 45 second song called "CanCon".

"This song is can con, the canadian content song..." I forget the rest, but it's a funny way to get around playing April Wine, Kim Mitchell and Rush all the time.

Is this it? YouTube - Gunther - Ding Dong Song

I was listening to that station when I was in Vancouver last fall. They were having "AC/DC" day, but had to keep interjecting Rush songs.