Question: Should I have waiting it out?

Qualified to play in a 250Keuro game yesterday through a couple of satellites. Been looking forward to this game all week actually, and was pumped for it. The entire game though, I only ever got to 12 to 15BB at any give point, and played short stack most of the game.

I just got moved to this table and don't know anyone on it except one player who moved with me. Like the third hand in. Top 100 got paid, and at this point, I was sitting around 80th spot out of 110 remaining. Total investment for me was 3.30euro and 100th paid out 330euro, top spot paid over 50K.

The whole tournament I have been extremely card dead, but I still made a move here and there to keep my stack to around 12bb most of the way through it. With payouts just around the corner, I'm not sure if this was the right move or not considering...

(sorry for the HH format...I don't like it, but its what they offer)

500.00/1000.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit) - Sunday, November 02, 2008 4:54:14 PM
€250,000 GUARANTEED (Real/Tournament)
Seat 1: GK-San (18509.00)
Seat 2: poker.bg (22804.00)
Seat 3: GoingGray (10128.00)
Seat 4: moustic96 (12504.00)
Seat 5: Heskey. (22757.00)
Seat 6: almatteo55 (32820.00)
Seat 7: PHWPHW (10663.00)
Seat 8: zoli1966 (12118.00)
Seat 9: kvalla (11801.00)
Seat 10: Wild_child (16818.00)
PHWPHW post SB 500.00
zoli1966 post BB 1000.00
** Deal **
GK-San [N/A, N/A]
poker.bg [N/A, N/A]
GoingGray [9d, 9s]
moustic96 [N/A, N/A]
Heskey. [N/A, N/A]
almatteo55 [N/A, N/A]
PHWPHW [N/A, N/A]
zoli1966 [N/A, N/A]
kvalla [N/A, N/A]
Wild_child [N/A, N/A]
*** Bet Round 1 ***
kvalla Fold
Wild_child Fold
GK-San Fold
poker.bg Fold
GoingGray Raise to 4000.00
moustic96 Fold
Heskey. Fold
almatteo55 Fold
PHWPHW Call 4000.00
zoli1966 Fold
*** Flop(Board): *** : [7d, 7h, 2s]
*** Bet Round 2 ***
PHWPHW All-in 6663.00
???

This is where I think I made my mistake. Considering we're so close to the money here, what would you do and why? To this point, I pretty much knew that winning was not going to come easily, but the payouts were only 9 or 10 spots away. What would you put him on at this point of the game, this close to payouts, with his stack, and calling my preflop raise? What would you put him on after the flop?

Comments

• You should be in shove / fold mode.

I like the raise if you're stop n' going here (ie cover your eyes before the flop and instashove when your up).

You cant fold here. Your chance to fold was PF. There is really no point trying to put villain on a hand.

That said - I dont mind a PF fold here. 99 is a disaster hand imo. ICM guys can probably figure out the math here. Im not one of them.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    You should be in shove / fold mode.

This. Dear God....This.
  • i would bet he has TT or JJ. just looking for a safe flop to push against your unimproved AJ+. unless he is swedish.

folding now would be tantamount to accepting the lowest prize, which is better than bubbling i suppose.

push or fold PF. no sense trying to finesse a couple extra chips here.
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    push or fold PF. no sense trying to finesse a couple extra chips here.

Should have said this earlier...the pots the last few orbits were being taken with preflop bets of this size, so I figured it would do the job and not risk all my chips for. I seriously considered pushing preflop, and normally would have considering my stack, but the table was tight and I didn't think I needed to do so.
  • Push preflop, can't fold here.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Should have said this earlier...the pots the last few orbits were being taken with preflop bets of this size, so I figured it would do the job and not risk all my chips for. I seriously considered pushing preflop, and normally would have considering my stack, but the table was tight and I didn't think I needed to do so.

Then you make that raise with crap so you can fold on the flop. Since 99 can only lose value when you see a flop you should have pushed first.
  • Fair enough...push or fold were my only options.

Which is better in this situation considering position, stack, and bubbling coming up?
  • No math here - but I fold. 99 has a thing for me. Plus I can exploit position better in the next few hands.

Every time I push here I run into Wes's quad 10's.
  • Mid position. Nearing the bubble. Table has been weak-tight.

I stick it in here and get most of these guys to fold TT, JJ, AT, AJ and maybe even QQ, and AQ (The last two may be a bit of a stretch).

Ace please make me a promise and tell me that after four years of being a member here you will learn a proper short stack strategy before the end of this week.

Do it for me.

Do it for yourself.

Do it for the forum.

Just do it for Nike.
  • LOL...oh I can manage short stack effectively enough, but like I said, didn't think a push here was warranted at the time. Still, I know I should have pushed preflop, but for all the talk, it wouldn't have mattered.

Villian had KK and I never improved. Same result.
    Same result.

Paging Dr. Jah.......
  • The only time I fold here is right on the bubble and there are some extreme short stacks. And that is only if I made the same investment vs bottom payout ratio. But otherwise this is a 100% shove here.

I just got moved to this table and don't know anyone on it except one player who moved with me. Like the third hand in. Top 100 got paid, and at this point, I was sitting around 80th spot out of 110 remaining. Total investment for me was 3.30euro and 100th paid out 330euro, top spot paid over 50K.

Typical top heavy payout.
    Your "job" is to win a top 3 prize.
    Around the bubble people tighten up to sneak into the money.
    The bubble is when you want to accumulate chips.

Get a big stack and win the tourney.
    Steal like a mofo.

Guys like Phil Ivey raise *every* hand if they can threaten the table with elimination.

As noted above... "If you have 10 big blinds or fewer, Push or shove"

If your table is tight, push if it's not a bottom 30% hand.

Will 330 Euros change your life?
    Will 50,000?

You want to accumulate chips on the bubble , Not worry about survival.