Quick Poll-$550 satillite to WSOP 2009

Im looking to host the first annual Southern Ontario LIVE WSOP satillite

it will be held in mid april and for every 24 people that register a $12000 wsop me will be given away... or the winners can opt for a quick $8000.00 cash settlement...

Tickets will begin sale in the new year... tickets must be bought in advance!!!
[therefore we can have the package(s) present for the winner(s)]
for each additional player past the 24 man mark dividends will be paid out

Location is looking like the legion hall in Kitchener

More Details will emerge in the new year, Just Looking for feedback

$12000 = seat in the main event, flight accomodations and spending cash

Structure similar to the main event with exception to time... 30 min blinds opposed to 2 hour, but same 20000 value starting stack

we are also looking into having a silent auction and raffle to benefit the legion for the use their hall

Like I mentioned I am Just looking for feedback its an idea which has been proposed and have had a remarkable amount of interest from players around the area so im throwing in out into the cyber world

Comments

• here is my feedback:

- don't understand why the cash option would only be $8,000 when the total package is $12K? where does the other $4k go? in your pocket?? especially since the seat to the main event is $10k +. Why would a player take the $8k option? really doesn't make any sense.

- the $12k is not enough to cover the overall expenses of the ME trip. Other forum members can confirm the total nights required for the main event. I would think it would to be approx seven nights so with airfare and 'spending money', it would really be tough to keep the total cost below $12k

- getting players to pay $550 in advance is going to be really difficult. It might be easier to get a deposit, say $50 to $100. Especially since this is an illegal raked tournament being held six months from now, there are plenty of things that can go wrong in the interim.
  • what rake?

550 all to the pool.... 500 towards each seat 50 to pay out places that dont win the seat...

and 8k payout is not to benefit us, its stated there to ensure that the players are there to play for the seat if not then 8000 is more then fair
  • if not then 8000 is more then fair

I just had an lol moment.
  • Thats got to be the biggest ripoof ever. 2/3 of the prize is fair lol.

Also can you even buy a wsop seat and assign it to somebody else?

No chance in hell i'm prepaying for a tourney like this, won't work.
  • what rake?

550 all to the pool.... 500 towards each seat 50 to pay out places that dont win the seat...

and 8k payout is not to benefit us, its stated there to ensure that the players are there to play for the seat if not then 8000 is more then fair
    So where does the extra 4K go then? And if you know anything about the Legions in Southern Ont, you would know that any that were holding poker tournaments even of the low buyin variety (ie$20.) were told to shut them down recently. They were not taking any rake but were selling booze...
  • 13CARDS wrote: »
    Hey! Hey! Hey!

My comments are in the context of the post. He asked for feedback on the tournament idea, although the probability of being busted is low, but it still may influence player's likelihood of prepaying $500+.

If you don't payout the excess of the $8k to the players, nobody will attend. Trust me on that one.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    If you don't payout the excess of the $8k to the players, nobody will attend. Trust me on that one.

Definitely true.

This tourney, if it happens, should just pay out 12k to the winner(s). If they don't go to the WSOP with it then that's their choice, and doesn't affect anyone else negatively.
  • Structure similar to the main event with exception to time... 30 min blinds opposed to 2 hour, but same 20000 value starting stack
    Excellent idea. Ideally, any satellite or league for a big event would simulate the actual event as much as possible (just like the rake-free satellite this Sunday).
    what rake?
    Are you saying that the only way you can pay for your expenses and time is if the winner takes the $8,000 cash option? If this satellite is truly rake-free for those that will take the $12K seat option, then this can be an even better option than carpooling to Caesar Windsor's monthly WSOP $500+$50 satellite with a rake of 9.1%.
    pokerJAH wrote: »
    - the $12k is not enough to cover the overall expenses of the ME trip. Other forum members can confirm the total nights required for the main event. I would think it would to be approx seven nights so with airfare and 'spending money', it would really be tough to keep the total cost below $12k
    A first prize of more than $12,000 will probably need to have a higher buy-in though. I personally prefer not much more than the U$10,000 seat in order to keep the buy-in as low as possible. Hotel, flight and personal expenses can easily be less than $100/day average (like my two trips to Las Vegas this year) or a person can choose to have a Vegas trip cost more than $1,000/day.
    pokerJAH wrote: »
    - getting players to pay $550 in advance is going to be really difficult. It might be easier to get a deposit, say $50 to $100. Especially since this is an illegal raked tournament being held six months from now, there are plenty of things that can go wrong in the interim.
    Agreed, I wouldn't want to make a deposit of more than $50, and only closer to the uncertain event. A friend won a $10,300 Fallsview seat through a WPT league, but the organizer "lost" some of the money :o so he missed out on playing at last month's WPT NAPC!
    actyper wrote: »
    Also can you even buy a wsop seat and assign it to somebody else?
    I've been asked to be involved in a rake-free WSOP league, so I think the way I would do it would be to send the winner's information to the WSOP and pay from the prize pool deposited in a bank account.
  • Good idea but too early to commit.

500+ DEPOSIT?????????????. RISKY.

I PREFER $10 000 CASH PAYOUT TO TOP 2.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    I've been asked to be involved in a rake-free WSOP league, so I think the way I would do it would be to send the winner's information to the WSOP and pay from the prize pool deposited in a bank account.

Exactly, what I was thinking. Therefore I don't think you can pre-buy a wsop package and leave the name is TBD.
  • this sounds fine. i think people definitely appreciate the effort any one puts forth trying to set this up.

agreed with everyone else - doesn't matter whether they take the prize or the cash. why should you care?

don't publicize the location as you will almost certainly get busted, even if you think this is legal...

publish the date and get something like 50/100 deposit 2 weeks in advance. this gives everyone an idea of the likelihood of this actually happening and what to expect for a prize. deposit money from no-shows goes into the prize pool.

get some long-time posters here to vouch for your cred if you are expecting people to give a deposit to a stranger.

run the tourney no matter how many show. if not enough for the ticket, run it as a normal tourney with top 10% getting paid.

i am interested.
  • The_Game wrote: »
    Good idea but too early to commit.

500+ DEPOSIT?????????????. RISKY.

I PREFER $10 000 CASH PAYOUT TO TOP 2.

Hey anyone wanna come to my SAT to this tourney?....say $55 with 10 people.....if you win you get your entry....but if you don't go you win $400.

(although honestly I think he's implying the $4000 extra would go to the next person in line, not to his pockets. Correct me if I'm wrong OP)
  • I will participate in a satellite or direct buy-in.