Royal Cup Strategies

As a co-captain, I know my player A knows how to get under the skin of another player B. I know player B does not want to play at this persons table in fact have been told it will ruin the day for them if this happens. Is it fair for me to put them against player A as much as possible because we are trying to win or is the day about everyone having fun.

Prophet 22

Comments

• Poker = War

Do what you feel is best to give your team an edge. If that means Player A up against Player B often because it will give your team as a whole a better chance to win or place, then go for it.

But, its the outcome of the WHOLE team that will decide the actual winner of this thing. If your player manages to knock out the other, and then immediately gets knocked out right after him after every game, there really isn't an advantage for your team.
  • is player A corkey? is player B 'any other person'? just asking...
  • So captains get to choose the matchups? I kind of thought it was just random. How does the process work?

edited to add: As for OP question - play to win!
  • Big Mike wrote: »
    So captains get to choose the matchups? I kind of thought it was just random. How does the process work?

Only the HU portion is seated by the captain, all the other ones are generated randomly via an excel spreadsheet.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Only the HU portion is seated by the captain, all the other ones are generated randomly via an excel spreadsheet.

This is correct. Until the last RC, captains placed all the matches but with 10 teams, it became very tedious so last time we made the switch. Captains will still be choosing the HU matches (during the NLHE portion when all the captains are at the same table)

So, to answer the original question, you can't do anything either way. Players A and B have their fates determined by the shitty rng that comes with Excel...Of course you can try to match them up in HU, but in Player B's captain has half a brain they just wouldn't place Player B against your team**

**That's a hint for all you other captains who have less than half a brain ;)
  • Strategies? There's strategies? Really....

And I don't like being singled out with half a brain.... It's not my fault...
  • Even though it's now moot due to the random thing...

Is it fair? As in "Within the outlined rules of the game, and open for any and all captains"? Yes.

But so was this at the time.....

Totally Legal!

Bottom line... fair? Yes. Douchbaggery and completely against the spirit of the day? Yes.

Mark
  • -The answer is NO, it is ridiculous to do something that takes away from the fun.

-If I have a say, I will not agree to a head's up match between these two players.

-If your player misbehaves or in anyway interferes with mine- I will be getting in that player's face about it....

and I will not only win but I further assure you; I am confident that, if forced to, I can do more damage to your amateur player's state of mind than that person could do to my experienced player's and it will cost YOUR TEAM points.

I love you, but kindly protect the fun of this event. I'd prefer to relax and enjoy the day with you and others, then slaughter some broad I don't know.

But if you push us, or upset my teammate..that is exactly what will happen.

/thread
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    -The answer is NO, it is ridiculous to do something that takes away from the fun.

-If I have a say, I will not agree to a head's up match between these two players.

-If your player misbehaves or in anyway interferes with mine- I will be getting in that player's face about it....

and I will not only win but I further assure you; I am confident that, if forced to, I can do more damage to your amateur player's state of mind than that person could do to my experienced player's and it will cost YOUR TEAM points.

I love you, but kindly protect the fun of this event. I'd prefer to relax and enjoy the day with you and others, then slaughter some broad I don't know.

But if you push us, or upset my teammate..that is exactly what will happen.

/thread

\thread

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

*ducking*

/thread.-*-
  • Brent,

I'd also add that in my experience making moves like this one actually come back to haunt you.

Making a move like this may not actually have the effect that you think. It could actually make that person just pissed off at you for making that move.

The example that I would give is Jeremy vs Mandy from 2 Royal cups ago...

Jeremy decided to put himself up against Mandy just after they broke up. Definitely not a fun time for her, and totally designed to play on the fact that she would be hurting.

Of course, she didn't cave.... she beat him.
  • You/Me Heads up

Just for Fun~!!:)

Milton Slim
  • DataMn wrote: »
    I'd also add that in my experience making moves like this one actually come back to haunt you.
    ya and what about that guy who threatened to punch corkeys teeth down his throat, eh? that was some kind of fun...
  • This move would be a bottle of douchebaggery imo, at a relatively social event.

Unless of course mincashing first place monies is life altering, in which case you should go bananas.
  • In the royal I don't think I'd do anything to intentionally piss someone off or ruin their day.

In general anything that can give your team an edge (within the rules) is fair game. In tournaments you don't always get to choose your opponents live with it. If you can't don't play.

PS I'm glad Kristy is finally releasing that pent up anger she's been holding in.
  • a little light went on when someone said something at the table and then i figured out who the two 'combatants' were here. as far as i can tell, this was way blown out of proportion before the event.

i'm curious if anyone noticed any questionable behaviour (outright cheating/angle shooting/other) at the cup? should a big deal be made of it or, in keeping with the 'fun' spirit, do you just let it go?
  • There was a complete chip dump at one of my tables.

Although the villain may have just been an idiot.

Villain: Bet! (300)
    Other: Raise! (600)
    Villain: Raise! (900)
    Other: Cap! (1200)
    Villain: Fold (with 75 back).
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    a little light went on when someone said something at the table and then i figured out who the two 'combatants' were here. as far as i can tell, this was way blown out of proportion before the event.

i'm curious if anyone noticed any questionable behaviour (outright cheating/angle shooting/other) at the cup? should a big deal be made of it or, in keeping with the 'fun' spirit, do you just let it go?

LOL just tyson in our sng which was a non royal event..... LOL
  • How do you figure it was 'blown out of proportion'? This conversation seems pretty reasonable to me.

Questionable behavior at the Royal should be punished based on intent as best we can determine it.

Bold-faced cheats punished strongly
    Inadvertent cheats reminded of the rules with no penalty and then punished strongly if they do it again.
  • I know player B does not want to play at this persons table in fact have been told it will ruin the day for them if this happens.
    based on my current understanding of who these combatants are, i do not believe this to be accurate. unless 'player b' wants to correct me...