Straight on river

I have chosen an almost random hand where I had to do some thinking and decided to see what other people think about it just to see if my reasoning was correct on this.

I got some feedback from friend of mine who said I should push in the following situation, cause I hit a straight. Just wondering what you thought I should have done.

It was early in the tournament and I didn't know much about the players. Villian seemed to be a little tight. EDIT: Also, his name suggests he might be fairly tight and trying to trick others with his 'suggestive' name. That's about the only read I had on him.

What would you have done after that river card came up?

Seat 1: adprocas (3740)
Seat 2: elfonseca (1720)
Seat 3: bazilk (3440)
Seat 4: excobra (1200)
Seat 5: rjyt54 (1800)
Seat 6: loosmannn (1920)
Seat 7: mrduke333 (1440)
Seat 9: Grunsj (2800)
Seat 10: leapoffaith3 (1940)
loosmannn posts small blind (20)
mrduke333 posts big blind (40)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to adprocas [ 7c, 6c ]
Grunsj calls (40)
leapoffaith3 folds
adprocas raises (120) to 120
elfonseca folds
bazilk folds
excobra folds
rjyt54 folds
loosmannn calls (100)
mrduke333 calls (80)
Grunsj folds
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 8h, 4c, 8s ]
loosmannn checks
mrduke333 checks
adprocas bets (120)
loosmannn calls (120)
mrduke333 calls (120)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ Tc ]
loosmannn checks
mrduke333 checks
adprocas checks
** Dealing River ** : [ 9s ]
loosmannn bets (40)
mrduke333 calls (40)
adprocas raises (200) to 200
loosmannn raises (440) to 480

Comments

• i doubt very highly he is bluffing. so what could he have?

(this all assume he doesn't read you as an uber lagtard AND he is not a complete donk)

* trips - maybe but he sure wasn't trying to get much value out of them until the river
    * fh with a 44 or tt - maybe but i think he plays tt more strongly. 44 is more likely
    * trips that became a fh on the river. yes the dreaded 98s. possible i suppose.
    * same hand as you. doubt he calls the flop bet with that crap
    * higher straight. maybe as long as you give him credit for calling on the flop with crappy overcards. must be QJ soooooooooted.
    * overpair. i doubt it. i hope he would play it more strongly PF and on the flop.

if you push here, are you folding out any better hands? i doubt it. could you get any worse hands to call? probably something like K8 (hey, come on) or A8 but again, i think he plays these more strongly so he isn't likely to have these hands. conclusion - not much value in raising here.

he has made a re-re-raise that is very affordable. either that means he doesn't mind a call or he is trying to get away cheaply if you push. you have no read so i'm not going to guess here. ok if i had to guess, he has 98s and he is never, ever, ever folding. or 44 and he has played it very poorly.

on the whole, i can't see much value in pushing. it is cheap to call so i don't like folding even if i am 55% sure i'm behind here. plus it is early. so call and put the info in the bank.
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    i doubt very highly he is bluffing. so what could he have?

(this all assume he doesn't read you as an uber lagtard AND he is not a complete donk)

* trips - maybe but he sure wasn't trying to get much value out of them until the river
    * fh with a 44 or tt - maybe but i think he plays tt more strongly. 44 is more likely
    * trips that became a fh on the river. yes the dreaded 98s. possible i suppose.
    * same hand as you. doubt he calls the flop bet with that crap
    * higher straight. maybe as long as you give him credit for calling on the flop with crappy overcards. must be QJ soooooooooted.
    * overpair. i doubt it. i hope he would play it more strongly PF and on the flop.

if you push here, are you folding out any better hands? i doubt it. could you get any worse hands to call? probably something like K8 (hey, come on) or A8 but again, i think he plays these more strongly so he isn't likely to have these hands. conclusion - not much value in raising here.

he has made a re-re-raise that is very affordable. either that means he doesn't mind a call or he is trying to get away cheaply if you push. you have no read so i'm not going to guess here. ok if i had to guess, he has 98s and he is never, ever, ever folding. or 44 and he has played it very poorly.

on the whole, i can't see much value in pushing. it is cheap to call so i don't like folding even if i am 55% sure i'm behind here. plus it is early. so call and put the info in the bank.

These were my thoughts exactly. I ended up calling, but what do you think he had?

I was thinking he could have a boat and he was trying to make me hang myself. I then thought, he called my bets, so he may be on a draw. I thought maybe he had JQ and he was looking for a 9 or a K on the river. It doesn't make sense for him to call my flop bet, though. Unless they were suited.

Either way, I saw a lot of hands that were beating me, so I didn't push. I flat called and got a read on him.

Again, what do you think he had?
  • adpro wrote: »
    what do you think he had?
    you beat. or you wouldn't be posting here, would you?

the river giveth and the river taketh away. 98s. i'm thinking diamonds.
  • adpro wrote: »
    I have chosen an almost random hand where I had to do some thinking and decided to see what other people think about it just to see if my reasoning was correct on this.

I got some feedback from friend of mine who said I should push in the following situation, cause I hit a straight. Just wondering what you thought I should have done.

It was early in the tournament and I didn't know much about the players. Villian seemed to be a little tight. EDIT: Also, his name suggests he might be fairly tight and trying to trick others with his 'suggestive' name. That's about the only read I had on him.

What would you have done after that river card came up?

Seat 1: adprocas (3740)
    Seat 2: elfonseca (1720)
    Seat 3: bazilk (3440)
    Seat 4: excobra (1200)
    Seat 5: rjyt54 (1800)
    Seat 6: loosmannn (1920)
    Seat 7: mrduke333 (1440)
    Seat 9: Grunsj (2800)
    Seat 10: leapoffaith3 (1940)
    loosmannn posts small blind (20)
    mrduke333 posts big blind (40)
    ** Dealing down cards **
    Dealt to adprocas [ 7c, 6c ]
    Grunsj calls (40)
    leapoffaith3 folds
    adprocas raises (120) to 120
    elfonseca folds
    bazilk folds
    excobra folds
    rjyt54 folds
    loosmannn calls (100)
    mrduke333 calls (80)
    Grunsj folds
    ** Dealing Flop ** : [ 8h, 4c, 8s ]
    loosmannn checks
    mrduke333 checks
    adprocas bets (120)
    loosmannn calls (120)
    mrduke333 calls (120)
    ** Dealing Turn ** : [ Tc ]
    loosmannn checks
    mrduke333 checks
    adprocas checks
    ** Dealing River ** : [ 9s ]
    loosmannn bets (40)
    mrduke333 calls (40)
    adprocas raises (200) to 200
    loosmannn raises (440) to 480

did mrduke333 fold?
    So the pots 1480 and it cost you 280 to call...

Strange the villain flat called preflop, called the flop, checked the turn and min bet/ tiny re-raised the river.

It's unlikely he called to make a runner runner straight.... LOL.

Nevertheless ...
    You don't want to play a big hand on a paired board with the stupid end of the straight.
    44, 89, 9T, T8s , 99 , kinda fits here...
    I'd call getting 5 to 1.
  • did mrduke333 fold?
    So the pots 1480 and it cost you 280 to call...

Strange the villain flat called preflop, called the flop, checked the turn and min bet/ tiny re-raised the river.

It's unlikely he called to make a runner runner straight.... LOL.

Nevertheless ...
    You don't want to play a big hand on a paired board with the stupid end of the straight.
    44, 89, 9T, T8s , 99 , kinda fits here...
    I'd call getting 5 to 1.

Here's how it went down

mrduke333 folds
    adprocas calls (280)
    ** Summary **
    Main Pot: 1760
    Board: [ 8h 4c 8s Tc 9s ]
    adprocas balance 4780, bet 720, collected 1760, net +1040 [ 7c 6c ] [ a straight Six to Ten -- Tc,9s,8h,7c,6c ]
    elfonseca balance 1720, didn't bet (folded)
    bazilk balance 3440, didn't bet (folded)
    excobra balance 1200, didn't bet (folded)
    rjyt54 balance 1800, didn't bet (folded)
    loosmannn balance 1200, lost 720 [ 5d 8d ] [ three of a kind, Eights -- Tc,9s,8d,8h,8s ]

What I couldn't understand is how he didn't bet more on the flop. Why didn't he push back?

To be honest, I would have folded if anyone showed any type of strength on the flop or even the turn. I had 8 outs to crappy straights on the turn with a paired board. The 5 would have been the best card for me (not knowing his hand of course), but still, full houses are possible with this board and I had that in the back of my head. I just don't know how someone wouldn't push more with 3 of a kind.

Now I guess the question is, did he make the right calls or should he have raised more??

EDIT: Before I get a bunch of people talking about my comment about the 5 being the best card for me, I'll explain.

First of all, not knowing his hand, the 5 would have been best for me. I would have had the nut straight. No other higher straight possibilities would have been available on the board. Only a tie.

This, of course, would have been busted by his full house, but I'm talking before knowing his hand.