Overbetting

One tool i never use in a cash game is the overbet. The only reason i could see a good reason to overbet the pot size is to protect your hand agaisnt a player who overpays to draw or overvalues beatable hands, such as top pair. Are there any other reasons to overbet the pot?

Comments

• I use it on the river as a false bluff.. Make it look like you are trying to steal the pot with a massive bluff on the end, and you'll get called a percentage of the time. Just don't use it every time otherwise it loses it's effectiveness.
  • what Zunni said, against the right opponent.
  • Whenever I utilize an overbet, it is ALWAYS on the river, and I NEVER have a hand. EVER. Really, I got nothing

<Hope my home game reads this.> I just may leave this thread open . . .
  • zunni74 wrote: »
    I use it on the river as a false bluff.. Make it look like you are trying to steal the pot with a massive bluff on the end, and you'll get called a percentage of the time. Just don't use it every time otherwise it loses it's effectiveness.

Excellent response, I couldn't have said it better myself.
    The only other time that I might do the overbet is when I have outs in a good semi-bluff situation, (like when I flop a 4 flush against a very aggressive opponent and I am in serious need of a chip stack boost).
  • Overbet is a must for cash games. Like Zunni mentioned, I use it to act is if i have a good draw when I might have something like a set. Great for when you put your oponent on top or over pair.